January 7, 2004

New Year's Resolution: Read books that don't contain equations.

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at January 7, 2004 12:38 PM I went shopping yesterday with a couple of Barnes and Noble gift certificates from past holidays, and came back with a decent stack of books. Here's my reading list:

• David Brin, Startide Rising
    David Brin, The Uplift War

These are the followups to Sundiver which I finished (and posted on) yesterday. Apparently any one of them can stand alone, though.

• Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

I have mixed feelings about another 900-page tome from Stephenson; Snow Crash was twice as good as Cryptonomicon in half the length. On the other hand, everything I've heard suggests that Quicksilver is better than Cryptonomicon, and the subject matter - the Scientific Revolution - is hard for me to resist, so I decided to give it a try.

• Richard Morgan, Altered Carbon

I ran across the Amazon page for this book while working on my Sundiver post yesterday. Sounds like a sort of cyberpunk/noir/crime fiction blend that could be very good.

• George R. R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

I played the board game based on this book with my D&D group a few weeks ago. Fun game, but I was the only one in the room unfamiliar with the setting. It must have more political intrigue than the average fantasy, given that the board game was entirely politics...
  • Bram Stoker, Dracula

Given all the vampire media I've consumed recently (Buffy, Legacy of Kain, Castlevania...), I felt I should check out some of the source material. Josh assures me that it's better than the Francis Ford Coppola film, which would honestly not be terribly difficult.

3,742 pages; this should keep me busy for a while... Tags:

Better get busy. SCARED MONEY is scheduled for a fall release.

Posted by: Jeremiah Spur | January 7, 2004 3:37 PM

Timing is everything.

Naturally it'll jump to the front of the queue. I just have to make sure I'm not on page 58 of Quicksilver the day it arrives.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | January 7, 2004 6:47 PM

I highly, Highly, HIGHLY recommend George R.R. Martin. He is incredible and definitely equation free.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 7, 2004 8:16 PM

The new look and feel really works in Netcaptor by the way. I've switched to that from IE because of the tabs feature.

Posted by: Jeremiah Spur | January 8, 2004 10:14 AM

Could be the font size.

I downloaded Netcaptor but oddly enough the site looks the same as it does in IE for me. I did find out the other day that my display was set to 120 DPI which was making everything look awful in IE (but Mozilla had its own DPI setting). After changing to 96 DPI it actually looked pretty good. Font size seems to be key - I'm using the "Smaller" setting in IE and a 14-pixel size in Mozilla. I may try specifying this size in the HTML.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | January 8, 2004 12:02 PM

I read the original Dracula to see the "original." It's really very pulpy and not very well written.

Posted by: Mason Porter | January 10, 2004 6:43 PM

I just got finished with Quicksilver and thought it was great. I was a bit disappointed with how Book 2 ended (it's divided into 3 sections, each about book length), but on the whole the characters and plot were great. The biggest disappointment is that it's part of a 3 book series, and I wasn't satisfied with just the one book

- Zif