February 26, 2004

The endless applications of physics

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at February 26, 2004 3:53 PM

When attempting to discern, based on subtle cues, whether a romantic prospect holds a favorable bias toward oneself, does anyone else find it helpful to think in terms of a two-particle correlation function? Or is it just me? (This is all purely hypothetical, of course.)

While we're on the subject of overanalyzing romance, check out this post by Kevin Drum on insights that can be obtained from reality shows.

Tags:
Comments

Travis. A "two-particle correlation function"??? Are you serious? GOOD GRIEF

Love is love is love -- it happens, enjoy it, revel in it, DON'T TURN IT INTO A SCIENCE PROJECT!!

Posted by: Tracy | February 27, 2004 7:34 AM

But love is a science, Tracy. Consider the opening lines of that most famous sonnet from the Portuguese,

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height..."

She's establishing the dimensionality of her love's phase space! What could be more romantic than that?

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | February 27, 2004 9:36 AM

I am smiling in spite of myself :)

But don't think for a minute that Elizabeth Barrett Browning wouldn't smack you around if she could hear you talk like that!

Establishing the dimensionality of her love's phase space? Is that your pillow talk? Wow... :)

Posted by: Tracy | February 27, 2004 11:41 AM

By the way have you ever heard of Emiliana Torrini? This discussion makes me think of her album Love in the Time of Science...you might know her from LOTR The Two Towers when she sang Gollum's Song...

Posted by: Tracy | February 27, 2004 11:54 AM

It's more of a pickup line than pillow talk. You know, "Let's establish the dimensionality of your phase space. Come back to my laboratory, we'll rotate into a superposition state and I'll drive you into Rabi oscillations."

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | February 27, 2004 1:17 PM

Haven't heard of her, but from her Amazon page she sounds interesting...

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | February 27, 2004 1:18 PM

Rabi oscillations, hmmm? I've really been missing out here...no one ever told me I'm supposed to expect those...

I'm being gypped!

Posted by: Tracy | February 27, 2004 2:35 PM

Two reminders:

1. my paper on quantum cuteness (which AIR mercilessly rejected)

2. Woody Allen's extremely funny article on love and physics from The New Yorker (reprinted in APS News, although the readership was offended by it---those morons!)

Posted by: Mason Porter | March 7, 2004 8:14 PM