March 22, 2004

Live from the March Meeting

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at March 22, 2004 10:21 AM

I was so proud of myself for mastering the predictive text function, and then I lost the post I had painstakingly composed. Anyway, I'm updating by phone from the March Meeting, having recently given my talk. The good part: I finished on time. However, I delivered it as if language were a new concept to me. During the question period I contemplated hiding under the table. Afterwards I got the adrenaline crash and fought to stay awake for two and a half hours, with mixed results. At least it's done. On to the next screen.

Tags: Phone Post
Comments

Congratulations on your successful talk. I just had to look up the proper spelling of "successful" because for a moment there I was determined to remove s's and add l's...then I went the other way and tried to treat it like "mississippi"...I went out at lunch and sat in the sun and I think I'm drunk on Vitamin D or whatever you get from the sun. I'm not making sense. Shut up, Tracy.

Posted by: Tracy | March 22, 2004 12:08 PM

"Successful" may be overly generous. Maybe you should congratulate me on a "completed" talk. :)

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | March 22, 2004 4:41 PM

Congrats on the completed talk! :) "On to the next screen" - such a perfect phrase. I just finished reading Altered Carbon, and thus completely avoided seeing the sun today (missed my alarm for group meeting, oops), and it was great. :) So, is the second book as good? (Hmm, maybe i'm sober on vitamin D deficiency cause I missed the sun today... prolly not.)

-Z

Posted by: Zifnab | March 22, 2004 8:10 PM

I finished the second book yesterday; I liked it only incrementally less than the original, which is to say that it was excellent. It also gave me much of the background for that one-shot idea I had -- in fact, the plot of the second book itself could very easily be adapted to an RPG scenario.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | March 22, 2004 8:29 PM

Nifty, i'll have to pick it up. Does that imply I shouldn't read it for a bit though? :)

-Z

Posted by: Zifnab | March 23, 2004 2:21 AM

In one of your paternal grandfather's presentations to his senior management once he made reference to a "pip-uh-leen." One of the big dogs interrupted him and said, Paul, don't you mean "pipeline"? Everyone gets the jitters.

Posted by: Dad | March 23, 2004 7:27 AM

Hey! My friend Emily's boyfriend is where you are! She said she went up Sunday and yesterday and it was really cold, but that the hotel was nice. Evidently he gave a talk as well, but I'm willing to bet there is more than one guy named Rob with thinning hair up there.

...wait, you're actually blogging this all by phone??

Posted by: Vanessa | March 23, 2004 11:13 AM

I think just out of the people I know that are here there are multiple guys named Rob with thinning hair. :) My last two posts have indeed been by phone, which is a bit gratuitous considering I can use my computer back at the hotel, but it gives me something to do if I'm otherwise sitting around for 20 minutes. Haven't found a way to read or post comments by phone yet. My page is too large to load in the browser. Maybe I should work on a WAP-enabled version of the site (a feature that was requested back in the early days).

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | March 23, 2004 1:57 PM

Z: No need to hold off. If/when I run something, I'll make whatever adjustments are necessary. :)

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | March 23, 2004 4:04 PM

As I mentioned, the guy who asked you that question wasn't trying to mean. I know him; he's a nice guy. He's just from eastern Europe and their questions can come off as abrasive even if they don't mean it that way. (I remember this guy grilling one of my posters once, and I was very surprised at the end of it when he said how much he liked it.)

Posted by: Mason Porter | March 27, 2004 2:19 PM