May 18, 2004

On "The Jesus Landing Pad"

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at May 18, 2004 1:22 PM

I was going to post on this Village Voice article, but after reading the Slacktivist's take I decided to just link to him instead. (I was planning to link his Buffy metaphor anyway.)

The good news is that our Middle East policy is not being dictated by the Left Behind novels; the bad news is that the administration wants some people to believe that it is.

Tags:
Comments

see my (unfortunately almost as ungrammatical as Pastor Upton's) comment on Slacktivist thanking him for the clarification, and apologizing for a cut paragraph!

rick perlstein
rperlstein@villagevoice.com

Posted by: Rick Perlstein | May 18, 2004 4:22 PM

Okay I will admit that I read the first and last books in the Left Behind series...just to see what the hype was about, you know?

They. Are. SCARY.

Posted by: Tracy | May 19, 2004 6:46 AM

I've always been a little curious as to what was inside those volumes with the cool cover art. But just the excerpts I saw in reviews of Glorious Appearing were very disturbing. Gory descriptions of Jesus as Death God dealing out gratuitously violent ends to those who oppose him (and after seven years of unimaginable suffering inflicted on the world, who wouldn't take up arms against the fucker?) while LaHaye and Jenkins look upon the carnage with a Nelson Muntzian "Ha ha!" And it's so popular...

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | May 19, 2004 9:58 AM

You should read the first and last ones like I did, just for research purposes. LaHaye and Jenkins are seriously scary men, I'm telling you. Their interpretation of the Bible is ludicrous. Of course, I'm not much for the Bible anyway, but that's not the point. The point is that is these books have such a strong following, and I am really disturbed at the ideas that are pouring into all of those spongey little minds out there...***emphasis on little...***

Posted by: Tracy | May 19, 2004 1:40 PM

Friend, forgive me for taking advantage of a one-time rift in the time-space continuum--my happening upon a story, about the George Bush's romance with apocalyptic Christians, linked by every blog in the world--to do some self promotion.

My book on the rise of the conservative movement, BEFORE THE STORM: BARRY GOLWATER AND THE UNMAKING OF THE AMERICAN CONSENSUS, has been very well received.

The reviewer in The Nation wrote: "I've read Before the Storm twice and intend to go on reading it, as my opiate, as long as Bush is in the White House.... Before the Storm is the story of such a fascinating era and Perlstein is such a great storyteller--one of the most enjoyable historians I've read--that I guarantee for a while you will simply forget the dreariness of today's politics."

In the Village Voice: ". Daring, virtuosic writing, and encyclopedic mastery make the book's title and its Goldwater focus inadequate to all Perlstein accomplishes. This is an exciting volume, an outstanding debut. It goes beyond conservatism. It ups the ante on what popular history can, and should, do."

OK. Enough. I'm blushing. If you liked "The Jesus Landing Pad: Bush White House checked with rapture Christians before latest Israel move," you'll, um, love BEFORE THE STORM.

Warm personal regards,
Rick Perlstein

Posted by: Rick Perlstein | May 20, 2004 3:29 AM

Okay, in defense of the crime fiction genre, I have to bring to your attention that if you'd like you can now add a sidebar link for your readers to pre-purchase SCARED MONEY on Amazon- no cover art yet though.

Posted by: Dad | May 20, 2004 1:55 PM

Is there a sign somewhere declaring this the Official Self-Promotion Thread? :)

(Not that a blogger has any right to complain about self-promotion...)

It just so happens that I'm currently working on a sidebar renovation, so I'll add the link while I'm at it.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | May 20, 2004 2:38 PM