June 19, 2004

Factor of ten in nine months

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at June 19, 2004 7:28 PM

Today I went running for three hours and twenty-five minutes, which is a ten-fold improvement over how long I was able to run when I got back into the sport last September. I mention this not to brag (gotta save that for after the marathon) but to note that this aspect of my physical condition was so far below its potential that I was able to make such an enormous improvement with a little bit of dedication. This suggests that other of my seldom-used abilities might be likewise improved with a little practice daily. This, of course, is relevant to the recently-popular topic of self-modification.

The obvious difficulties are identifying those aspects ripe for improvement, and figuring out how to train them effectively. There's a lot more known about how to do this for running than, say, conversational skills...

Tags:
Comments

Contrary to what you were told last night I only ran three hours yesterday- it was so hot and muggy I started before dawn and was already drenched in sweat before the sun came up. But I did get it done.

I'm thinking about running stadium steps next weekend.

Posted by: Dad | June 20, 2004 3:02 PM

I've been meaning to get back to the gym for a while now. I stopped doing my regular workouts back in late January, because I was aggravating my hand problems (RSI basically, but not too bad if I'm sensible about how I work). Now that I've got things under control in that department, I've been meaning to get back to it, but it's been about a month now, and there are so many good excuses...

I suppose I do a bit of DDR still, and that's certainly better than nothing, but I'm also certainly *not* in shape. Sigh. We'll see, maybe I'll work up the nerve to get back into it soon, maybe not. At the very least I should get in shape for next fencing season and renew my rating, as I think it runs out after next year.

Posted by: Lemming | June 20, 2004 4:18 PM

It's indisputable that the Bay Area climate gives me a training advantage compared to Houston; I started my run just before noon yesterday and found the conditions perfectly comfortable.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | June 20, 2004 4:39 PM

Heck yeah, and that's not even mentioning where you get to run. From as far south as Castro Valley up to I think around Richmond is an almost entirely uninterrupted stretch of great park area for running up in the hills. I'm most familiar with the trail areas from the Lake Chabot Marina up to, oh, a little past Marcel Gate (sp?). To anyone who's not familiar with the Bay Area, there are nice parks up in the Oakland hills that extend quite a ways, with enough different trails to keep you from ever getting bored. Also, here and there while running on some of the trails you can catch an absolutely spectacular view of the Bay Area.

Hey Arc, maybe sometime when I'm up in the Bay Area and I'm actually in shape, I can introduce you to a few old friends of mine, Saucomodo and Anderson? ^^

Posted by: Lemming | June 20, 2004 5:09 PM

The view is definitely a major motivator for running hills around here. I have ambitions of running on some of those trails up on the ridge; at the moment I've been running routes that start/end at my (sea level) apartment door. :)

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | June 20, 2004 8:25 PM