August 30, 2004

Orcs and shotguns

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at August 30, 2004 11:08 PM

Last week's quote (We should have shotguns for this kind of deal.) was of course from Pulp Fiction. The new one is difficulty: Formidable, 4 points.

I usually update the Media Room (bottom of the sidebar) with the quote, but since my DSL hasn't been connected yet I'm using a weak wireless signal that I'm picking up from somewhere--weak enough that I would rather spare myself the annoyance of doing this on an intermittent connection and do it later. If you're really curious, I'm on to the second season of The West Wing, listening to (among others) Light and Magic by Ladytron, and re-reading Altered Carbon for RPG purposes (although it's not as if this is a chore). Haven't had time to see any movies (or play Doom 3), but Hero is next on the list.

Tags:
Comments

Of course. John Travolta said it. I knew it sounded familiar. That was a missed opportunity if ever there was one.

Posted by: Dad | August 31, 2004 8:30 AM

Mmmm, Altered Carbon. That sounds like a good RPG ^^ I've been reading A Game of Thrones, but I keep getting interrupted, so I surprisingly haven't been able to finish the whole thing yet. Oh, and I can finally report back on crappy computer+great video card for Doom3: The result is that I can play quite smoothly now on high quality at 1024x768. Perhaps a bit of screen lag now and then, but nowhere near the problems I had at 640x480 on low quality.

Posted by: Zifnab | August 31, 2004 3:22 PM

I'm finally putting some thought into that BESM game in the Altered Carbon setting that I mentioned many months ago. Also, regarding Game of Thrones, I will repeat the advice that was given me: Don't get too attached to anyone.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 1, 2004 12:27 PM

I suspect I know the source of the current quote, as I know of a certain comic book character with a peculiar fondness for onion dip, but alas, I don't believe I've ever read an issue that featured any sort of orcs...

Posted by: Lemming | September 1, 2004 6:06 PM

I can see that being particularily good advice for A Game of Thrones, but it's very hard to not get attached to some of the characters. At the moment I really like Bran, Jon and the Imp, and there's at least a half dozen i'd like to see very dead. I guess as long as my like list is shorter than my wanted dead list, it'll work out. (I hope. I hate books where villians don't die but the heros always do.)

Posted by: Zifnab | September 2, 2004 2:15 PM

Yeah, the villains are terrific, in the sense that they were so evil that I was cheering for horrible things to happen to them. And yet by the third book I was surpised to find certain names migrating from my death list to my favorites list; some of the character arcs go in very interesting directions.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 2, 2004 2:31 PM