September 30, 2004

Instant Debate Comments

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at September 30, 2004 7:32 PM

I watched the debate on C-SPAN's internet feed. Bush is not very impressive in this format—he kept repeating the same phrases, frequently hesitated, and often came off as whiny when making a rebuttal. Kerry seemed uncertain at first but gradually became more confident. I particularly liked Kerry's answer on nuclear proliferation, although I worry that his position on "bunker buster" nukes is the sort of thing that plays into a "soft on national security" line.

Anyone else watch? What were your impressions?

Tags:
Comments

I didn't manage to watch it, was hoping to view it tomorrow on my boss' tivo.

Posted by: Lemming | September 30, 2004 8:23 PM

Surprisingly enough, I watched some of it. It was the only thing that wouldn't distract me from my SQL work.
While I wasn't entirely focused on it, I got the distinct impression of Bush being hesitant and generally unprepared for questions. If I were paying more attention, I would have a count on how many times he said key phrases, such as "Freedom" and "Our Country" (and certainly not in the noble ways displayed in Hero...)
Kerry came off, to me, as more confident. He didn't hesitate or sound whiny, or even blare off token phrases. I did like the "Why are we fighting in Iraq?"/ Afghanistan!=Iraq && Osama!=Sadaam" line of debate though.
Mild, distracted entertainment at best.

Question: What is the deal with Nader anyway? Is he still in the running? I've not heard much of anything about him- and seeing as what happened last time, hoping he isn't =p

And that's all the politics you're likely to get out of me.

Posted by: Vanessa | October 1, 2004 1:25 PM

Nader's running again, but with less support this time. He's not on the Green Party ticket, and consequently is having trouble getting on the ballot in a lot of states. He *is* on the ballot in most of the big swing states (Florida for instance) so he could still be a factor.

I also noticed Bush's stock phrases... earlier today I saw an Excel spreadsheet someone had put together where you could type in a word and see how many times each candidate said it. Could have some fun with that but there's other data I'm supposed to be crunching right now. :)

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | October 1, 2004 4:09 PM

My reaction was the same as yours. Bush sort of gave his stump speech. Kerry seemed more responsive and relaxed.

Posted by: Dad | October 3, 2004 4:13 PM

By the way, I assume you are aware of this interesting way of analyzing where the race stands.

Posted by: Dad | October 4, 2004 11:52 AM

I hadn't been following the electronic markets very closely, but they are indeed interesting...

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | October 4, 2004 1:06 PM