September 29, 2004

Strategic Slacking in Congress

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at September 29, 2004 5:32 PM

Here's a big surprise: Congress didn't pass its appropriations bills on time.

Congress Passes Bill to Keep Government Running

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Congress on Wednesday passed a stop-gap bill to keep the government running into November avoiding some tough election-year votes as Republican admitted they could not finish their budget work.

So what were they doing instead?
U.S. House rooting for oak as national tree

WASHINGTON — The national bird, the bald eagle, will have a national tree, the oak, to alight on if legislation passed yesterday by the House makes its way through Congress and is signed by the president.

The oak tree, said the measure's sponsor, Rep. Bob Goodlatte, is present in all 50 states and "represents the fundamental characteristics of this great nation: strength, endurance and beauty."

I notice the oak tree does not embody the fundamental characteristic of doing your fucking job.

It's not like this is an accident, though—"Oops, we missed the deadline." There's a strategy to this, as the first article points out.

Republican leaders must also decide how to deal with the third increase in the nation's debt limit in three years. Republicans want to put off the embarrassing vote on adding to the debt until after the election. Democrats blame Bush's tax cuts for turning the surplus he inherited into a huge deficit and will seize the chance to question Bush's policies.

I'm so glad we have responsible adults running the country.

Tags:
Comments

Haven't I told you about the time I worked in the Texas state legislature and the House wasted an entire week on a bill naming salsa the Texas State Sauce???

Posted by: Tracy | September 29, 2004 7:52 PM

Congress is pretty bad, but in terms of capacity for stupidity they pale in comparison to state legislatures. You might think that in California we at least have the Governator to keep them in line, but he's too chicken to face them, and runs around trying to get his agenda passed by ballot initiative like a girly-man.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 29, 2004 10:03 PM

I am officially taking offense to the phrase "girly man". You guys would be lucky to act like us girls. We rock. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go dig up my Spice Girls albums and rock out.

P.S. Please do not think for a second that I actually own a Spice Girls album.

P.P.S. Girls still rock.

Posted by: Tracy | September 30, 2004 6:52 AM

Does this mean we can call women "manly girls" if we want to insult them? What would the proper use of the phrase be? Perhaps when they were too offensive/smelly? Or is it best used when one plays videogames too much? I have no clue... Anyways, I don't see what's offensive about "girly man", it should be read as slang for "effeminate man" ,which according to at least one definition on google is "characterized by excessive softness or self-indulgence". Also "having unsuitable feminine qualities", but that's a bit vague in just what those qualities are.

Posted by: Zifnab | September 30, 2004 1:30 PM

The fact that "girly man" or "manly woman" are insults stem from the negative aspects of both the male and female stereotypes. Even if you don't wholly agree with these stereotypes (that usually means you don't have your head up your ass), you'd still be silly not to know what they meant, thus the insults still have clear and insulting meaning. The real argument, in all fairness, is that the use of these insults perpetuates said stereotypes, but personally I just think it's damn funny to say "girly man." Is it really necessary that we're sensitive when we formulate our insults?.

Posted by: Lemming | September 30, 2004 8:00 PM