September 13, 2004

What about fear?

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at September 13, 2004 1:47 PM

I'm sure many of you recognized last week's quote (Our chief weapon is surprise. That's all, just surprise.) as being from Monty Python's Flying Circus, even if you didn't expect it.

New one is Hard; 3 points.

Hey, have you ever thought about having an open comment thread or something? Or should we just blather away in whatever thread suits our fancy? :) I just have the urge to start up a chat sometime. Here's the starter: what do you think of Gabe's new baby? On other topics, Burnout 3 sounds pretty cool too...

Posted by: Zifnab | September 13, 2004 2:30 PM

The comment traffic here is low enough that I don't object to random discussion in any thread, but the weekly quote updates are particularly suitable for it. Maybe I'll start marking them as open threads. (I keep 10 days of posts on the main page, so unless I get way behind there should always be at least one visible.)

I think it's awesome that he named the baby Gabriel. I hope that, in the alternate universe in which I have a kid, I name it Arcane Gazebo Hime. (Its initials would be AGH!) Also, I like the shirt he (the baby) is wearing in the picture today.

(Non PA-readers should go here:
and scroll down if you want to know what we're talking about.)

I haven't looked at Burnout 3 at all... if I buy any more games, I'll never get unpacked, and right now I can't walk around for all the cardboard boxes. :)

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 13, 2004 4:15 PM

Yeah, I especially like the baby's name. What do you think will be the first game it plays? :) And wow... Arcane Gazebo Hime... that's just a great name. I can see it now: "Aggghhh!" being used as a cry of accusation at something stupid the kid did.

I just picked up a copy of Burnout 3 and have been playing Phantom Brave, so we have plenty of games running here too. :) What's your new place like? Will we get to see any pictures of it on the log?

Posted by: Zifnab | September 13, 2004 9:32 PM

I think little Gabe's first game will have to be Pac-Man.

The new place is a bit smaller than the one in El Cerrito (which I don't think you ever saw); thus compressing all my stuff into it has made it a bit... cozy. It'll be better once I take care of the aforementioned boxes. The location is great, though--North Berkeley, in walking distance of just about everything. I feel much less isolated than I used to (but the unit itself is quiet, so noise isn't a problem either).

I was planning on taking some photos once I get everything set up; since you're interested I'll be sure to post them here.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 14, 2004 12:00 AM

Oh yeah, Pacman would be perfect for his first game... I wonder if anyone's suggested that to them. ;)

I remember visiting one place you were in, but i've no idea which one it was or where it was. I think that was after Curtis' wedding and it was all very frazzled (and i'd been running an Exalted game in the van so hadn't been paying attention). Sounds good on the pictures. I'm hoping we can get up to Berkeley sometime to visit and play RPG's and stuff. It's been too long!

Posted by: Zifnab | September 14, 2004 6:08 PM

Well, you know I'm always game for the roadtrip, and I'll also be game to drive once I get a car... Actually, if someone wanted to plan a trip in the meantime with a rental, that could work too, just lemme know. On the Gabe's baby Gabe note, I was just pondering--if Tycho has a kid, will he name it Tycho? Will he have a girl, thus making things *really* screwed up?

Also, a quick word on Star Ocean 3: I'm *this* close to finishing the damn thing, but I'm horribly under-levelled, and now I can't get past the next boss, 3x opponents who can 1-hit AE my whole party... It's my fault though, cause I got really good at doing lots of damage, but have really poor endurance, so I've been skipping as many fights as I can, and just blitzing the last few dungeons... Either way, I'll finish it either this week or this weekend, which is cool because A) the game rocks, and B) I can then start playing Phantom Brave.

Oh, and lastly, a sad note for anyone who knew my beloved laptop, tequila (the powerbook). I killed her. *sniff* *sniff*. A drop drom desk-height, and the LCD is shattered internally. Given the cost of a replacement LCD, and the fact that I have a new laptop that I ordered a few weeks ago and is literally arriving any minute, I doubt I'll get to fixing her. It's a shame, too. Tequila didn't have much oompf (could play Q3 or Warcraft 3 and that was it), but it was just so handy, and portable, and just really *nice*. *cry*.

Posted by: Lemming | September 15, 2004 1:44 PM

I like this idea of you guys driving the 5 instead of me. I'm pretty busy until November, after which I hope to show up in Pasadena, so you should wait until I have time to be a proper host. :)

I'm still on disc 1 of Star Ocean, playing only an hour or two a night (and being distracted by item creation and exploring Places I Shouldn't Be Yet), but I'm loving it. I've been pretty diligent about looting the Moving Treasure, which has sometimes made me overpowered and sometimes not (especially when the monsters deal MP damage).

My condolences on your loss. Will there be a memorial service for tequila?

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 15, 2004 4:52 PM

Gasp! Us drive somewhere? Well, it could happen ^^ I wouldn't be opposed certainly, but I do have a decent bit of work this semester, so pretty much only weekends work unless vacation days come at opportune times too.

I think you should hold a memorial service for tequila, and have tequila be present for it via a plugged in monitor! That would be pretty funny. ^^

Anyways, yeah. I was programming, back to that.

Posted by: Zifnab | September 15, 2004 6:11 PM

I have the skit that has this on my iPod. I knew it was Monty Python, just not from which large body of work it came...

Posted by: Mason | September 17, 2004 1:36 PM