October 5, 2004

Vice-Presidential Debate

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at October 5, 2004 8:50 PM

I once again watched the debate from lab. I haven't had a chance to read other blogs on this, so these are my pure, unadulterated impressions.

After seeing Cheney tonight, I can understand why Republicans like him. (Whereas why anyone likes Bush is still something of a mystery.) He appeared smart, serious, and well-informed. On the other hand, it's probably easier to appear well-informed when you just make shit up. I could barely see him through the roaring flames coming from his pants. Unlike Bush, it's hard to believe this guy lives in a bubble isolated from real facts; he seems sharp enough that I'm guessing he knows most of what he's saying is false. Though it was strange that he gave Edwards the same opening Bush gave Kerry, for the "Saddam did not attack us" line.

Edwards lived up to my expectations as a swift and eloquent debater, but it seemed like Cheney had him playing defense for most of the event (although he did get several good hits). The attacks on his Senate attendance really sounded bad, and it would be tough to explain the game-theoretic reasons why he doesn't actually need to be present for all those votes. Bringing up Cheney's own record was a good manuever, but doesn't refute the charges.

Interestingly, both candidates seemed least comfortable discussing same-sex marriage. Possibly because it's such a volatile issue, but I also wonder if they were troubled by the need to take politically expedient positions over what they really think. Cheney's already been pretty daring in deviating from the GOP line on this issue.

I thought a lot of questions were pretty stupid—clumsy attempts to bait one candidate or the other into taking cheap shots at his opponent. Both Cheney and Edwards rose above this, and took their cheap shots at less obvious times.

Sadly, there were no hilarious "You forgot Poland!" moments.

Tags:
Comments

I'm gonna offer a big 'huh' to the above poster... Anyways, what's the "You forgot Poland" moment thing about? I took the link but it just had a bunch of images and no real explanation of what it was, etc...

Posted by: Zifnab | October 7, 2004 1:23 PM

I guess that person needed to vent... I'm happy that my blog can provide emotional release for people. Anyway...

In the foreign policy debate last week John Kerry made a statement about how the only significant contributors to the Iraq war coalition were the US, Britain, and Australia. When Bush's rebuttal came up, he snapped back "You forgot Poland!" It was... unpresidential.

When I first saw it, youforgotpoland.com just had a picture of GWB, the quote, and a Polish flag; since then they've added a bunch of photoshop jobs of uneven quality. (I do like the modified POW-MIA sign, though.)

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | October 7, 2004 1:39 PM

Oh, that's a lot more funny now. Was it generally viewed as unpresidential due to it being nitpicky (really, the fact that Poland also helped seems inconsequential to the main point, to me), or was it the presentation of how he said it?

Posted by: Zifnab | October 7, 2004 7:16 PM

I can't figure how you now understand why Reps. "like Cheney"--you have to be able to love someone who bald-faced lies to you;complains about the bugs, but ignores the rats; is terrified of sharks ( like the dumb movie?), while ignoring the immenent threat of drowning or hypothermia--that's who he reminds me of, w/his underground, 60 ft. deep,"bomb shelter", for himself and other rich families--it even includes a "cardiac suite" and he has a dr. on"standby" for ???$$$--ready to go down there with him---the guy is a psychopath (r/o "paranoid personality disorder") and as dark as the deaths done in his name. He is a terrifying man, and about all he showed in the "debate" was that lying still doesn't make him bat an eyelash;and that he IS good at hiding hius extreme hatred of other human beings--if it means he gets a giant tax cut out of it.I think he and "W" should donate their tax "cuts" (tax increase for us)to the causes they CARE (lol :')so much about--like ALOT of other very rich people did. Kerry voted AGAINST a tax cut for himself--doesn't that mean anything? I've known about Cheney for years, by people that "knew"him well--if anybody does. He is what Kerry said when his mic was on--and worse. These are very, very nasty, smarmy, dirty-minded,sick, greedy, selfish people who call people like me--in the polls, when they read them--"peasants under glass". How anybody can buy their bullshit is TOTALLY beyond me--NO, just cause you vote for them, won't make you, Mr. Blue Collar, "like them someday" ,even if you "work hard" and invest "prudently in the stock market". If you went by these qualities for "W"--he'd be lying homeless in a ditch, with the veterans he's putting there. Ms. Kyle Christensen

Posted by: Kyle Christensen | October 8, 2004 12:22 AM