November 15, 2004

A different Buffy quote [Open Thread]

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at November 15, 2004 11:24 PM

I'm a little late with the quote post; last night I expected today's workload to be x; when I read my e-mail in the morning I revised my estimate to 2x, and by midafternoon it had been upgraded to 3x. Since I got it all done, I'm hoping tomorrow will be better.

Last week's quote (If some idiot politician, some power player, tries to execute policies that harm you or those you care about, take it personally. Get angry.) was from the Harlan's World revolutionary Quellcrist Falconer in Richard K. Morgan's novel Altered Carbon. This comes from a longer passage which I am too lazy to type in; just read the book anyway, because it's really good.

The new quote is difficulty: Insane; 9 points. Although people who read the same blogs I do may know where to find it.

Tags:
Comments

Oh man! I knew that quote sounded familiar from somewhere. ; ; Ah well. And look on the bright side, at least your work volume didn't have an exponential increase.

Posted by: Zifnab | November 16, 2004 1:50 AM

Oh yeah... as we speak Steam is unlocking my copy of Halflife 2. Woot!

Posted by: Zifnab | November 16, 2004 1:50 AM

They're waiting for you, Gordon... in the test chamber!

At that time last night I was reading System of the World... I'd been covering only a few pages a day until Daniel and Newton visited Bedlam; I picked it up last night at that point around midnight, then looked up later to discover that it was 3:30 am.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | November 16, 2004 12:40 PM

I just finished reading System of the World yesterday actually, hence the quote in the comments for the previous post. It really heats up after a point, and the entire end of the book is great. :) Have you gotten to the point where Daniel ruminates on Pie?

Posted by: Zifnab | November 16, 2004 12:48 PM

I was wondering if that was where the quote was from. I did like the Pie Relativity section, and the Stake-Out Log was hilarious.

Newton's becoming a more and more interesting character...

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | November 16, 2004 1:08 PM

Newton is definately quite the interesting character near the end. Which is not to say I really like him, but... Jack is also very interesting and I like him up til the end. :) I need to reread several of the chapters he's in near the end for subtext - there are hidden messages in some of them, and it wasn't apparent until later that they were there.

And yeah... that scene with the Ordinary is one of the ones with hidden messages, and it was just so well written that I had to quote part of it (one of the spoiler-free parts, too :).

Posted by: Zifnab | November 16, 2004 4:49 PM

At least your workload scales linearly.... if only I were so lucky!

Posted by: Mason | November 16, 2004 5:05 PM

Front page of slashdot: Raimi remaking Evil Dead?
Campbell appears to be involved, too.
-Z

Posted by: Zifnab | November 18, 2004 1:05 PM

Interesting. I felt the first Evil Dead was the weakest of the three, so it'll be interesting to see if they improve upon it. Too bad Raimi's not directing.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | November 18, 2004 2:51 PM