February 11, 2005

Friday Catblogging: Jumping Puzzles

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at February 11, 2005 12:00 AM

catblogging - jumping puzzles

I have accumulated more evidence that in Omen's eyes, I am his favorite platform game.

Exhibit A: I am tending to my plants, a process which Omen finds fascinating. I kneel down to empty some stagnant water, and apparently my leg appears to be a Mario-style moving platform; as soon as its angle is horizontal, he blithely walks across it from the table to his favorite chair. Stage clear!

Exhibit B: I am talking on my phone (because reception is better on the patio), and pacing back and forth. Omen walks up along the wall, and looks at my shoulder with interest. What he sees, evidently, is a horizontal platform moving back and forth at the top of his vertical leap.
Omen: This is the most difficult jumping puzzle yet! [Waits for the platform to stop momentarily at one end of its cycle]
[It stops]
Omen: YAR! [pounces]
Moving Platform: Holy shit!
Omen: I'm going to miss! But I can still catch the edge! [deploys claws]
Moving Platform: Ow! Fuck!
[The side of the platform is not a climbable surface, and Omen falls.]
Omen: [glaring at uncooperative platform] Great, now I have to start the level over.

I don't know what he was planning to do if he made the jump. Maybe there's a 1-up on top of my head.

Tags:

TrackBack

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Friday Catblogging: Jumping Puzzles:

» Friday Ark from Modulator
Cats, Dogs, Spiders and ? every Friday. I'll post links to sites that have Friday (plus or minus a few days) photos of their chosen animals as I see them (no photoshops and no humans). Leave a comment or trackback to this post or email me and I'll add ... [Read More]

Tracked on February 11, 2005 6:43 PM
Comments

I think you've got yourself a pet, there. Just get him his shots and be done with it. :P

Posted by: Tracy | February 11, 2005 7:49 AM

Speaking of platformers, an EXCELLENT "new" (incredibly retro in style) platformer just got released in December, and the english translation just hit a few days ago...

It's actually a PC freeware title, but it's the best platformer I've played in a long while. Name of it is "Doukutsu Monogatari", which is apparently "Cave Story" in english.

The dialog and plot is just about the best I've ever seen in a platformer. There are some incredibly funny moments, and some really sad ones too. Beyond that, however, the gameplay itself kicks a lot of ass. On my way to get the third ending right now (sorry boss, I'll get more work done today, I swear!), and it's interesting how much the way I play has changed with each play, keeping things plenty interesting.

Anyway, this sucker gets two thumbs *way* up, and it's doesn't take all that long to play through, so I'd recommend giving it a try.

Posted by: Lemming | February 11, 2005 10:37 AM

Tracy: I think he considers me his pet...

Lemming: Sounds like I should try this... might motivate me to finish writing this solution set.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | February 11, 2005 11:15 AM

Wait until he starts using cheat codes.:)

Posted by: Mylanda | February 11, 2005 1:15 PM

That's a scary thought. I can see the GameFAQs entry already...

Infinite Cat Treats
Claws Stick To Any Surface
Access Secret Level: "Inside"

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | February 11, 2005 4:27 PM

"Thank you Mario, but the princess is in another castle!"

Posted by: Mason | February 11, 2005 7:44 PM