February 16, 2005

I am a big dork.

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at February 16, 2005 3:47 PM

Fark has declared tomorrow "National Take Your Dice To Work Day".

Geeky, yes. But it's tempting, if only so that as I return the first homework set I can claim that d% were used to determine the grades.

(In Mason's course, he can claim that he used a d20.)

Tags:
Comments

well, two people almost cracked 60

Man, I only took _one_ test at Tech (in Ma 109) that had lower means and medians.

I told you you'd be proud of me, but I am really unhappy with how things turned out. Only 5 of roughly 35 ODE students knew the quadratic formula. There are more horror stories can tell, but I'll spare you for now.

Posted by: Mason | February 16, 2005 8:18 PM

I wish I had read this entry last night, as I would have taken my dice with me. :) (Of course, I spent little time on campus due to a trip to Ohio State for an interview. In response to my comments about the great academic opportunities there, one physics professor gave the following reason why I shouldn't accept a job here: "Come on! It's Columbus!" I have to admit he has a point, but I would accept a job here anyway, assuming they let me spend a year at Tech first.)

Posted by: Mason | February 16, 2005 8:24 PM

One of my advisor's former students just accepted a job at OSU, and I spent two miserable summers there at the Ross Program. (I'm allergic to buckeyes, and number theory is very much Not My Thing.) Thankfully, Wendy is taking up the job I would want, as so I have no fear of winding up in Columbus.

But I know that OSU Columbus has the coolest zip code in the contry: 43210

Posted by: Wren | February 16, 2005 9:29 PM

I should bring my dice in, and toss them on my desk. Anyone asks, I could just say I'm putting aside work on the singular integrators for the moment in favor of a Monte Carlo approach. That's the ticket.

Posted by: Lemming | February 17, 2005 11:00 AM

But wow, I went and read the entire Fark thread on the news post... wow. One of the most worthwhile threads I've read in a while. I think my favorite couple of posts were... wait, who're you... AHHgrk--
*GARROTED*

Posted by: Lemming | February 17, 2005 11:49 AM

Ross program: Mathematicians really harp on how successful it's been overall, although I have no personal knowledge of this REU. Of course, their claims have absolutely no bearing on the satisfaction of one individual. They do have a successful undergrad summer research program that draws some really top students, which is one of the very good aspects of my going here, because working with undergrads has become one of my specialties.

Posted by: Mason | February 17, 2005 8:41 PM

Due to allergies and general campus health center cluelessness, Ross almost killed me. Had I taken the hint, I'd have saved myself the pain of being a 'tech Math major, and not failed 5 or 108.

Although it did teach me how to think about math and numbers and systems, in ways I still use, now that I have experimental data to interpret.

Posted by: Wren | February 18, 2005 3:31 PM

Mmmmm...data. I occasionally use that with my applied math stuff.

(Travis: FYI, there's a good chance that the congress paper will end up in PNAS, but we first need to deal with a nontrivial number of corrections to make sure one of the referees is sufficiently pleased. The other one actually wrote in the referee report that he applauded our work. I swear I am never going to see that again in a referee report... I should know more in a few months. :) )

Posted by: Mason | February 18, 2005 9:30 PM