February 25, 2005

Silence

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at February 25, 2005 11:42 AM

Remember when I said that blogging might be reduced due to my teaching position? This is what I was talking about.

Tags:
Comments

Yeah, teaching is pretty rough. :)

When I get a good student, I really enjoy it---especially with one-on-one research! I love telling one of my students when they get their first paper accepted! I don't typically do well with unmotivated students, though. I am quite impressed with people who can work well with unmotivated students and get them to see the light. It's quite a skill...

I bet you're a good teacher. Hell, you've presented a proof of Simpson's Rule more often than I have. :)

Posted by: Mason | February 25, 2005 9:04 PM

Well, f*** a duck. We'll have to make up for it by being especially noisy in the posts. Not like we haven't been getting practice lately. ^^;

Posted by: Lemming | February 25, 2005 10:19 PM

We'll see what the influx of work allows or which stress-relief strikes my fancy. (Today's work has been an exercise in my own denseness. Never send a dense person to deal with a sparse matrix... [I know that's a groaner, but I couldn't resist and it is germane.])

Posted by: Mason | February 26, 2005 8:23 PM

Well then, it's a good thing the matrices I work with are dense. At least, there are only, hrm, N zeros (if I'm thinking it through right) in an NxN matrix, for large N (on the order of... 2048 for smaller test runs, much higher for real stuff)

Anyway, don't mind me, just taking a break from working on my actual work.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2005 3:25 PM

Join the club on taking a break from actual work. :)

Posted by: Mason | February 27, 2005 6:12 PM

Things I need to keep in mind when teaching:
1. My body is not transparent while I'm writing on the blackboard.
2. Just because I can read my handwriting doesn't mean the students can.
3. I can pick some example problems and solve them on the fly in discussion section. However, they will be much more understandable if I solve them beforehand.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | February 28, 2005 4:25 PM

There's also the unwritten rule that one's intelligence is inversely proportional to one's distance from the blackboard. (Joel Franklin always used to tell us that...) Of course, I think there's a negative spike when one gets to the back row. :)

I'd have some work I have to do now before I go to bed, but I may end up being able to goof off and still go to bed at a reasonable hour because the server is down. (On the down side, this will make tomorrow suck harder than it's already scheduled to suck.) I should be getting a draft of a SURF proposal (due tomorrow) by e-mail, although the student's decision to give me the rough draft the night before the thing is due is a horrible idea on his part.

Posted by: Mason | February 28, 2005 9:03 PM