April 11, 2005

Order and Chaos [Open Thread]

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at April 11, 2005 12:03 AM

Some kind of organization obsession hit me this weekend, which led me to scrutinize my living space until I found a superior furniture arrangement—one which happened to require moving nearly every item of furniture I own. Two days later, I have achieved the kind of harmony that comes from a successful restructuring, along with some sore muscles. Unfortunately the process displaced a lot of random crap that needs to be sorted and placed logically. Once that's done, I'll probably post before/after pictures on my Flickr page in case anyone is really curious. [Looking back on this, it's possible I'm turning into the main character from Fight Club. The Ikea nesting instinct and all that.]

Blogroll update: Dave, an occasional commenter here, has started his own blog: Japanese Trash. Check it out.

Gazebo Classic Movie:Monty Python and the Holy Grail: I'm sure most of my readers can quote large fractions of this movie from memory, so there's no real need for me to talk about it. Maybe it was all the obsessive media coverage of the pope, but I felt the need for something sacrilegious the other night. So I watched this movie, and then spent some time reading the Principia Discordia. I had some weird dreams that night.

Bloc Party: Silent Alarm: This album was getting rave reviews everywhere, so I picked it up last week. After all the hype I was expecting it to blow me away, and although it didn't rise to that level it's still a pretty solid album. It's drawing a lot of comparisons to Franz Ferdinand and to The Futureheads, and while Bloc Party has a distinctive texture from these two (and is a bit more dance-y) I can see the resemblance. Certainly they've got the British accents going. I found the leadoff track, "Like Eating Glass" to be especially good.

Tags:
Comments

Something you might not have seen, in which case you must go see it ASAP: www.caltechvsmit.com

Details Caltech students pranking of MIT's prefrosh weekend. :)

Posted by: Zifnab | April 11, 2005 6:47 AM

Thanks for the plug!

Posted by: Dave | April 11, 2005 7:26 AM

The account of the pranking of The Other I of T is PRICELESS. A hard copy is going home for mama-san's consumption. We await the posting of the pictures of your new living situation.

Posted by: Dad | April 11, 2005 8:16 AM

My life is a perpetual medly of order and chaos, which by complete coincidence is one of the main things I study for a living.

I have been up 37.5 hours in a row and am going through your entries (well, I'm skimming some of them---sorry!) instead of sleeping.

I am dumb. (This whole ordeal is caused by being stuck on Australian time after having gone there and back in 6 days. I feel like crap.)

Posted by: Mason | April 11, 2005 11:21 PM

I have discovered genius in webcomic reading style:
Ran into Shlock Mercenary (link escapes me at the moment). Found a "click this button for random comic" button. Proceeded to be horribly amused by reading a comic strip i'd never read before, in random order. Played game until I got a strip that was either immediately after or before one i'd seen. (where immediate is within 2-3, judged by content). Fun! Now i'm going to sleep. :)

Posted by: Zifnab | April 12, 2005 4:33 AM

Wow. I'd given up pushing Schlock Mercenary on people a while ago, but it remains one of my top picks. It's the *only* comic that is better than PA in terms of reliability of updates. The comics are great, the posts are often hilarious, and it's the only comic besides PA that has inspired me to write to the author (and, like PA, I always got a response).

On an unrelated note, there have been a bunch of pretty good links so far on Boingboing this morning.

Posted by: Lemming | April 12, 2005 11:24 AM

Mason: I will interpret your comment to say that my entries are so exciting that you use them to stay awake.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | April 12, 2005 12:01 PM