June 14, 2005

Between L.A. and Chicago [Open Thread]

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at June 14, 2005 2:44 PM

Posting an open thread in the spaces between traveling. This week's destination: Chicago. Soundtrack: The Hold Steady (which I've learned is really good music for driving on the 5 at xx mph).

And, the new music:

Maxïmo Park: A Certain Trigger: This record reminded me a lot of The Futureheads, due to both the music style and the great, unrestrained English accents. They have a longer attention span than Futureheads, though. I really like "Once A Glimpse".

I posted a broken link to the Sleater-Kinney track last week; I'm leaving it up now that the link is fixed so people have a chance to listen. Meanwhile, I am listening to a bunch of metal albums today. I assure you I have a good reason for this.

Tags:
Comments

So... what's the reason for listening to a bunch of metal albums today? Don't they just make clattering metallic noises when you bang them together?

I liked the photos from the wedding, except the one with me in it, of course. :) I find it difficult to get used to how I look in pictures, it's like i'm looking at a stranger who's supposed to be me.

Posted by: Zifnab | June 15, 2005 3:24 AM

Har. Yeah, to get the full experience you have to shout about blood and thunder at a ridiculously low pitch while banging the albums together. :)

As for the reason, I will be free to disclose it later in the week. In the meantime you are all free to imagine that I am dating a hot chick who listens to metal, or something.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | June 15, 2005 12:08 PM

Interesting, you are banging metal albums together but cannot tell us the reason until later this week... sounds like a job for a detective.

Possible hypotheses:
1. The Arcane Gazebo has a date later this week with a metal drummer, who also reads his blog and thus he is passing a secret message by saying that he also can wham albums together fairly well, or at least is making an effort.

2. The Arcane Gazebo is a super-spy, and is currently involved in an undercover mission in Antarctica. The blog is a secret coded link back to his spy agency, which he updates via cell phone with coded messages. Thus, the metal album listening is telling the spy agency that he's setting up for the operation (with probably more details), and his revealing the reason later this week will indicate whether the operation was a success.

3. Dynamic Political Activist Arcane Gazebo is planning a metal album protest in front of city hall/the capital/etc. However, since he has not experienced the banging of albums much, he has taken upon himself to appropriately research the correct album choice for a protest themesong. Once that is complete, the protest will be announced via this website.

4. The Arcane Gazebo is bored at work and hits upon the enlightened idea of metal albums to liven up his work day. However, since it might be discovered he must not reveal his boredom just yet, until he accomplishes startling new scientific results (later this week! what optimism!) and then can reveal that it was entirely due to being able to listen to metal to repeal his boredom.

I give up. Guess i'll have to wait til later this week. ;)

Posted by: Zifnab | June 15, 2005 1:31 PM

I'm sure I could totally seduce this hypothetical drummer chick with my MAD DONKEY KONGA SKILLZ. Although that game's songlist is rather lacking in the metal department.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | June 15, 2005 10:27 PM

On the other hand, it would allow me to use the pickup line, "Hey baby, wanna come back to my place and slap my bongos?"

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | June 15, 2005 10:29 PM

Maybe you should test out Donkey Konga 2 for us and see if it's got any metal tracks? (Yeah, the kind trains run on... had to use that one) You prolly could manage to impress them with the mad bongo skills, and if that pickup line worked, you'd know they were the right person for you (though I feel there should be a disclaimer about them being the right person iff the pickup line worked because they did want to play say, donkey konga, and perhaps do other stuff later).

Posted by: Zifnab | June 16, 2005 2:01 AM

I am so bored at the airport that I have figured out how to read and post comments from my phone. My plane was supposed to leave four hours ago... Anyway, an investigation of Donkey Konga 2 is an excellent suggestion.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | June 16, 2005 10:08 AM

If you do investigate, be sure to let us know how it is! It could add a third bongo to the collection, since every game shipped that can use bongos has come in two versions, bongoless and with bongo. :) I hope the airports treat you well, even if it appears the airplanes have been abusing you. Hope the gash heals up. L and I are about to leave for the honeymoon thing, but not taking an airplane. The drive might be just as bad, but we'll see. I've heard it's very pretty if we go up the coast.

Posted by: Zifnab | June 16, 2005 3:53 PM

Well, you might have lost twice that come to me (once to Joe and even once to me) if we hadn't gotten 1 less slap than you did. (That's not a House quote because I phrased it that way on purpose.) As for metal women (or metal-loving women, as the case may be), maybe you should check out the goth scene?

Posted by: Mason | June 16, 2005 11:02 PM

Zifnab: So the reason for listening to the metal albums was, I wanted to get my brother some music as a graduation gift, and I know he likes certain metal bands, and I had heard of other metal bands that were good. So I was listening to the latter in an attempt to determine whether they were the kind of thing he would like.

In case anyone is curious, I ended up getting Blackwater Park by Opeth and Leviathan by Mastodon.

Mason: Speaking seriously for a moment, it's hard to imagine that a girl with a metal/goth aesthetic would be interested in me; in my (limited) experience they tend to go for the "bad boy" types.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | June 18, 2005 9:52 PM

OK, but there is the goth/gamer thing. Or perhaps that's soft-core goth or something. :)

Posted by: Mason | June 19, 2005 11:23 PM

Whoa, soft-core goth. Mason's on to something there, maybe that's the type you should be looking for? ... Do those exist? (Gilly, the perky goth, comes to mind, but being a comic book character might not be a very fulfilling girlfriend)

Posted by: Zifnab | June 21, 2005 1:32 AM

Dora from Questionable Content seems like that type, so at least examples exist in the comics world. Now does this reflect the existence of this type in reality, or merely a wish-fulfillment fantasy on the part of male comics authors? Hmm...

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | June 21, 2005 12:45 PM