July 14, 2005

Decisions, decisions

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at July 14, 2005 4:42 PM

Should I go to that Harry Potter release party this weekend? Let's ask... Pope Benedict!

"It is good that you enlighten people about Harry Potter, because these are subtle seductions which act unnoticed and by this deeply distort Christianity in the soul, before it can grow properly," Benedict wrote, according to the excerpt.

I think it's a bit too late for the growth of Christianity in my soul, so I might as well go. By the way, am I the only one who finds this metaphor disturbing? Like Christianity is growing in my soul so that it can burst out of my chest like in Alien? Maybe it's just me.

A bigger worry is that by going to the release party, I will encounter massive spoilers for the fifth book in casual conversation. But I guess I have no excuse when the fifth book has been on my shelf for two years and I still haven't read it.

Tags:
Comments

My mother claims to not have read the fourth book. So you're ahead of someone.

Posted by: Wren | July 14, 2005 5:41 PM

I haven't read any of them. And only seen the first movie. I'm sure the fact that Rowling's sales in Dallas County alone will kick my sales' ass for all my books combined has nothing to do with it. Maybe I need to learn to be subtler with the seductions or something.

Posted by: Dad | July 15, 2005 7:57 AM

Well, you clearly need to educate yourself on the subtle ways of Harry Potter, and what better way to do it than at the release party? You can then send a report on the depravity and luring of children to the devil to Pope Benedict and be made a saint! Hard to beat that!

Posted by: Chris L-S | July 15, 2005 8:54 AM

Dad: You just need some hellfire-and-damnation fundie preacher to condemn your books as Satanic, preferably on live TV with actual fire involved. Your sales will go through the roof.

Chris: Yesss... "Saint Travis of Berkeley" has a nice ring to it. :)

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | July 15, 2005 10:31 AM

You are no doubt correct. And for the right amount of money, this should be no problem. I shall set about trying to find one, and begin negotiating his price.

Posted by: Dad | July 15, 2005 11:05 AM

I've seen all the Harry Potter movies (and really, really enjoyed them) but read none of the books. The current plan is to finish with the movie series and then do the whole series again by book (and read other stuff in the ever-increasing backlog in the meantime).

The son of one of my Georgia Tech friends looks like Harry Potter. See http://www.cns.gatech.edu/CNS/Ivor110203/index.html (though the pics with the largest resemblance are on a different site).

Posted by: Mason | July 15, 2005 2:09 PM

I'll chime in with having read none of the books, and i've seen the first movie but didn't care for it.

Posted by: Zifnab | July 15, 2005 2:14 PM

As for the movies, I still haven't seen the third one. Maybe after the fourth comes out?

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | July 15, 2005 4:47 PM