July 4, 2005

Internal Playlist

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at July 4, 2005 7:46 AM

I didn't bring my iPod on this trip because I was trying to travel light, and I worried that it would encourage me to be anti-social. So I've been stuck with the selections of the iPod in my mind, which are occasionally driving me mad when they play on infinite repeat. It's the wrong day for a Random Ten, but here's what's playing in my head:

1. The Hold Steady, Your Little Hoodrat Friend
2. Mercury Rev, Secret for a Song
3. Belle & Sebastian, Dog on Wheels
4. Sleater-Kinney, The Fox
5. Iron and Wine, Cinder and Smoke (guitar part only)
6. The dialogue from Dinosaur Comics #498, "the devil in: mmorpgs"
7. The Hold Steady, Cattle and the Creeping Things
8. Bright Eyes, First Day of My Life
9. Belle & Sebastian, String Bean Jean
10. Kain from Legacy of Kain saying "Nupraptor's head", over and over again. No, I don't know why. No, it won't stop.

If something is stuck in your head, give it to the rest of us by posting in the comments.

Tags:
Comments

I was going to post this the other day and then forgot and now you have not only reminded me you have given me the PERFECT opening. The other day I was chortling over Mason's "Fanta Boy" post during my run and it put me in mind of another little boy who used to drive me INSANE singing Henry the Eighth and THEN THE DAMN SONG GOT STUCK IN MY HEAD. Had to resort to Snow Patrol to dislodge it.

Posted by: Dad | July 4, 2005 9:02 AM

I have no songs in my head at the moment (although I did have something from Boingo playing just now), but here is another edition of the first 10 iTunes songs:

1. Living in Danger (Ace of Base)
2. San Jacinto (Peter Gabriel)
3. The Blood That Moves The Body (A-Ha)
4. Only Time (Radio Edit, but not the pop edit) (Enya)
5. The Sun Never Shone That Day (A-Ha)
6. Running Up That Hill (Kate Bush)
7. Stand By Love (Simple Minds)
8. Two Of Hearts (Stacey Q)
9. Changes (Butterfly Boucher---cover of Bowie)
10. Waltz from Sleeping Beauty (Tchaikovsky)

Most notable observation from that set: 2 songs from A-Ha's comeback 2002 CD. (Their tone is much darker in many of their songs these days than it was in the Take On Me and The Sun Always Shines on TV days. Their music remains awesome, though. Also note that the label they're given as a one-hit wonder is actually _not_ accurate. They charted really high twice and had other songs that had other successes, such as the theme song for a Bond film.)

The only thing I can say about songs stuck in my head is that one of my friends has been doing his best to put Little Bunny FuFu (sp?) in my head, which is really annoying.

Posted by: Mason | July 5, 2005 1:19 AM

On the bus to Florence one of the Dutch guys proposed a rousing round of "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall". (His suggestion was ignored by the rest of the physics community.) If Shellock is reading this thread, he should remember some good times with that song...

Mason: Ah, so that's who sings "Running Up That Hill". I only know it because the Hold Steady (who keep coming up--I'm not obsessed!) reference it:

She mouthed the words along to "Running Up That Hill."
That song got scratched into her soul.
He's never heard the song before,
but he still got the metaphor.
He knows some people that switched places before.

I should hear the song so I can get the metaphor too.

On the subject of Kate Bush, the Futureheads do an awesome cover of "Hounds of Love".

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | July 5, 2005 4:37 AM

Running Up That Hill is a great song. For some reason, I've never gotten into any of her other songs. I've heard of Hounds of Love but don't recall it for the moment, so I'll try that one again. Running Up That Hill is her only song which had even a glimpse of popular success, as far as I can tell (and it had only a glimpse...).

Posted by: Mason | July 5, 2005 11:53 AM

For the last n days, if I do not have music playing, I have had "Let's Do It," the Cole Porter chestnut imbedded.

"Let's do it"

"In Boston, even beans do it"

"Lithuanians and Letts do it"

"Let's do it!