August 3, 2005

Fun with ID (and pasta)

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at August 3, 2005 1:55 PM

I missed this when it was on BoingBoing (while I was in Italy), but have now been enlightened by PZ Myers: a competing theory of Intelligent Design based around Flying Spaghetti Monsterism is demanding its place in science classes. The best part is this picture:

Also notable for their theory of global warming which involves pirates.

Tags: Creationism, Pirates, Religion
Comments

Hmmm...this should be expanded to a Cthulhu appearance or something.

Posted by: Mason | August 3, 2005 3:12 PM

More theories need to involve pirates. Arrr!

Posted by: Jenny | August 3, 2005 3:30 PM

Mason: When I saw this picture in thumbnail I immediately thought of Cthulhu before I had fully assimilated it. And indeed, no theory of intelligent design should ignore the work of the Old Ones sleeping beneath the earth...

Jenny: I agree! Maybe I should work pirates into my dissertation somehow, once I'm actually writing it. Or deliver my qual talk in full pirate regalia...

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 3, 2005 3:54 PM

Well, I had the word "vibrating" in my thesis title, so you can certainly incorporate some pirates.

The most recent paper I submitted includes the word "manipulation."

Incorporating pirates shouldn't be a problem.

Posted by: Mason | August 3, 2005 9:57 PM

My thesis, at this rate, will involve extraterrestrial life. Perhaps there's room for space pirates.

Posted by: Wren | August 3, 2005 10:40 PM

I figure I need to find the dominant source of decoherence and relate it to a pirate metaphor somehow, in the style of "Andreev hijacking". Then, I can say that "decoherence times on this sample were low due to pirates".

Wren: Space pirates would be excellent. Hopefully there will also be metroids.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 3, 2005 10:58 PM

Well, there was that paper that appeared like two days after your conference that used the term jokingly mentioned in the talk you saw...

Posted by: Mason | August 4, 2005 7:18 PM

Do not fail to read this post on Kung Fu Monkey. http://kfmonkey.blogspot.com/2005/08/president-and-intelligent-design.html
It is brilliant. And I LOVE the motto he ends it with.

Posted by: Dad | August 7, 2005 9:36 AM

That was awesome. I should add that guy to my RSS bookmarks.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 7, 2005 1:54 PM