August 8, 2005

More Twain, and Jon Stewart

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at August 8, 2005 3:38 PM

It occurred to me, after writing the previous post, that most quotes incorrectly attributed to Mark Twain are less eloquent and not as funny as the stuff Twain actually wrote. That reminded me of the last time I posted a Twain quote, which began with "If science exterminates a disease which has been working for God, it is God that gets the credit, and all the pulpits break into grateful advertising-raptures and call attention to how good he is!" and continues on this subject.

This in turn reminded me of a Daily Show segment from last week in which Jon Stewart questions the application of the term "miracle" to the survival of the passengers in the Air France accident. It's one of the funniest Daily Show pieces I've seen—the clip is online here (the one called "It's a Miracle"). As a bonus, it contains Stewart's reaction to Bob Novak's on-air meltdown.

We may not have Mark Twain to comment on today's Gilded Age, but at least we've got Jon Stewart.

Tags: Culture, Television
Comments

If you recall, there was a time when I thought Jon Stewart was just a shadow of the hilarity of Craig Kilborne.

I would like to state, solemnly and for the record, that I must have been completely f-ing out of my mind.

Posted by: Lemming | August 8, 2005 5:10 PM

Craig Kilborne can be funny (I liked him on Sportscenter).

Mark Twain rocks, and The Gilded Age is an especially good example of his work. Here's a quote from it:

“Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.”

(Naturally, I used that quote when I speak about my congress project.)

Here are other quotes from him:

"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't
know.

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying
that I approved of it."

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are
in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination." (This one actually might be from _The Gilded Age_.)

Posted by: Mason | August 8, 2005 11:54 PM

Haha, I barely got away with watching that Jon Stewart clip at work. I did a superb job at stiffiling the laughs.

Er no, wait, I mean it was a miracle....

Posted by: Kyle | August 9, 2005 6:21 AM

I wonder how Mark Twain would fare in a googlefight with Jon Stewart.

Posted by: Dad | August 9, 2005 8:43 AM

You asked for it!

Mark Twain: 3,480,000
Jon Stewart: 4,160,000

And, for the sake of completeness,
Samuel Clemens: 852,000

Now, looking at this, Jon Stewart appears to be the winner. Unless of course, we add together the results for the name and pseudonym. It seems unlikely, however, that many of the "Samuel Clemens" hits aren't also "Mark Twain" hits, but one can never be too sure...

Mark Twain (excluding Samuel Clemens): 2,910,000

Clearly that experiment didn't work. I'm pretty sure Jon Stewart is the winner, but if anyone would like to continue my work and be absolutely sure, I'd appreciate it.

(I mean in no way to imply that the champion of the Googlefight is the greater wit. That topic is left open to discussion)

Posted by: Lemming | August 9, 2005 11:22 AM

Oops, nvm, that experiment *did* seem to work, with the modified scores coming to:

Mark Twain: 3,762,000
Jon Stewart: 4,160,000

Pardon my talking like a fool. Jon Stewart wins!

Posted by: Lemming | August 9, 2005 11:24 AM

I think maybe it's because Jon has a better time slot for The Daily Show than Mark has for the one he's got. Isn't the Mark Twain Show on across from Friends?

Posted by: Dad | August 9, 2005 3:50 PM

I just don't have much to say. Eh. Today was a complete loss. I haven't been up to much today. So magna rx
goes. Shrug.