August 16, 2005

On the March [Open Thread]

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at August 16, 2005 5:38 PM

I have a lot of energy lately! Fortunately I've been able to keep myself busy.

The Aristocrats: This is a very funny and relentlessly obscene documentary on the infamous dirty joke. I laughed until it hurt. It's not for the squeamish, as the various comedians will violate (and I do mean violate) every taboo subject they can think of. If you can stand it, though it's well worth it. Highlights: George Carlin, Gilbert Gottfried, Eric Cartman.

Pelican: The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw: Long crashing epic songs that sound like they should be the soundtrack for an army of orcs on the march, driven by hard-rock electric guitar riffs (but acoustic guitar is used as well to great effect). Well, there aren't actually vocals (despite the album's title!), so I guess "songs" isn't the right term. Terrific instrumental rock, though. I'm uploading one of the shorter tracks to save bandwidth: "Sirius"

Tags: Movies, Music, Open Thread
Comments

The Aristocrats? I didn't think it was out yet... In theaters, I presume?

Posted by: Lemming | August 16, 2005 6:10 PM

Yeah, general release was last Friday. LA and NYC have had it for a while.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 16, 2005 6:44 PM

Since this is an open thread I am pleased to announce that... The Japanese language version of THE NIGHT OF THE DANCE has been released and I have five copies in my possession! It is completely hysterical, by the way.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2005 8:09 PM

The Aristocrats sounds way cool! I _so_ want to see that.

Posted by: Mason | August 16, 2005 8:53 PM

Ebert's review of The Aristocrats (linked from Making Light)is quite funny, although as with all reviews, it has no particular connection to whether you should see the movie or not. Personally, I'll probably be skipping it; the online versions of the "joke" I've found are enough for me.

Posted by: Lanth | August 16, 2005 10:11 PM

I generally find Ebert to be a pretty entertaining reviewer (though I obviously disagree with some of his comments on The Aristocrats). He's especially good when he really hates a movie: see the review of Deuce Bigalow 2 (that was also on Making Light, I believe), or Stealth.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 16, 2005 11:48 PM

Sorry for the redundancy for some people, but take a look at the caption of the second picture on this page: http://www.utdmercury.com/media/paper691/news/2004/06/28/News/Juneteenth.Celebrates.Culture.History-689824.shtml

Posted by: Mason | August 17, 2005 1:52 AM

No love for Bob Saget???

Posted by: Josh | August 18, 2005 4:10 PM

OR CARROT TOP??????

Posted by: Josh | August 19, 2005 4:58 PM

I didn't say it was an exhaustive list of highlights. Bob Saget, Sarah Silverman... I can't recommend Carrot Top though, either here or in general.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 19, 2005 6:19 PM

Carrot Top has been uniformly stupid on all occasions I have had the misfortune to see him on any sort of screen. (Usually, he goes away quickly, which is a good thing...) I've heard that Bob Saget's stand-up is much better (and raunchier) than his blah family comedy stuff.

Posted by: Mason | August 21, 2005 10:48 PM

Yeah, for the record, so I don't sully my image, I was being sarcastic about Carrot Top.

Though I do want to see his running commentary on the DVD of "The Rules of Attraction", which is based on a book by the same title by the author of American Psycho. Reportedly, the producers decided that rather than directors or actors doing DVD commentary, they'd bring in Carrot Top, who had never seen the movie, and have him talk about it.

While I don't like the man, the concept alone makes me laugh enough to want to see it.

Posted by: Josh | August 25, 2005 6:46 PM