August 1, 2005

Retro Style [Open Thread]

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at August 1, 2005 1:39 PM

The poll is still garnering votes (I think it stays open for a week) so I won't change the picture in the sidebar just yet. In the meantime, here's a music review and an open thread.

The Go! Team: Thunder Lightning Strike: I have no idea what this is, but it's great. Like someone made a kickass rock band based around the soundtracks to cheesy 70's action movies. This is good music for getting psyched up for some difficult task. Try "Bottle Rocket"; it's all like that.

Tags: Music, Open Thread
Comments

I'm reading THE ENGLISH PATIENT. (Is it what I'm supposed to be reading? Well, no. But I needed a break from my other duties.) And as you probably know much of the action takes place in a bombed out villa north of Florence. The posting of your Italian photos was therefore perfectly timed to enhance the already enjoyable experience of reading this book for a second time. And it suggests to me that you should throw out the polls and go with the Italy picture on the sidebar. At least until I can get MY butt to Tuscany, I can enjoy your trip vicariously when I visit your blog.

Posted by: Dad | August 1, 2005 2:08 PM

Well, if that's all you're after, why don't I send you the full-size version of the photo and you can make it your desktop background? :)

Both of the non-propaganda photos have been gaining in the poll today, although it's still unlikely either one will catch up.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 1, 2005 3:37 PM

Sure. Send it around. I might print it out and frame it.

Posted by: Dad | August 1, 2005 3:48 PM

Heh, I think maybe some people are using the Richard Daley voting method. Viva la revolucion! (Oh wait...wrong revolution. And please forgive my spelling...)

Of course, I was once named International Terrorist of the Week by _The California Tech_ (for "crimes against humanity and possibly baseball"), so perhaps you shouldn't listen to me when I speak of revolution.

Posted by: Mason | August 1, 2005 10:05 PM

Attention! I just read on Boingboing (so many of you probably have seen this already) that this year's Bulwer-Lytton winners are up. Yay! Go check 'em out!

Posted by: Lemming | August 2, 2005 2:26 PM

Yeah, I had considered blogging that myself. Bulwer-Lyttons are here. Also check out the Lyttle Lytons, which have a length constraint and are equally entertaining.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 2, 2005 4:11 PM

A Tech alum won the grand prize in that contest in 04. (He's been one of our most helpful contributors for our book.)

Posted by: Mason | August 2, 2005 9:33 PM