August 11, 2005

The Classics

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at August 11, 2005 6:10 PM

Is the university bell tower seriously playing Green Day's "Basket Case" right now?

Yes, it is. At least it's not "Good Riddance".

Tags: Music, UC Berkeley
Comments

I like the song Good Riddance and I approve of university bell towers playing such stuff in general. I requested Cornell's chime to play The Pink Panther Theme (although it doesn't actually come out well with chimes). Sadly, they didn't have The Ride on their playlist. Their version of Penny Lane was way cool, however.

Posted by: Mason | August 11, 2005 6:57 PM

Mason, my deep and abiding hatred of "Good Riddance" stems from the fact that it was massively overplayed when it came out, by parties ranging from radio stations to the population of Lloyd House, including CERTAIN ALLEYMATES. So I did in fact know that you like the song. :)

That said, I do approve of the carillonist playing fun contemporary stuff. One that I remember was on Halloween when they played the Addams Family theme. I think there have been others I've noticed but they've slipped my mind.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 11, 2005 7:22 PM

Everybody did indeed overplay that song when it came out. For what it's worth, the only time it came out of my room was from the radio because I didn't own the CD it was on.

And that song isn't even a blip on the screen compared to the songs I really did overplay (and there were several of these)...

I apologize for all the trauma this has caused. :)

Posted by: Mason | August 11, 2005 10:57 PM

Damn, I missed it. (My building, unlike the physics quad, is no where near the bells, and pretty well insulated. We get the marching band once a year at convocation, and that's it.)

Can we request songs, do you know, Travis?

Posted by: Wren | August 11, 2005 11:07 PM

*cough*sorry*cough*

At least it wasn't as bad as the day I bought Aqua's Aquarium.

Posted by: Lemming | August 11, 2005 11:44 PM

Well, you should have been living in Inferno or Tropic in April 1997 on the day the Depeche Mode album Ultra came out. Between the two alleys, there four really huge fans of Depeche Mode who all bought the album. All of us played it loudly all day and night (on album repeat), and we were all slightly shifted from each other on where we were in the album, so walking through those alleys was a bit painful for some and some of the other residents got a little annoyed at us. (I think the fire doors ended up getting closed by people living in other parts of the House, we were asked to close our doors, and alley residents scampered for other places to be.) None of us had coordinated, but given who was living in the two alleys, it wasn't overly surprising that this happened.

Posted by: Mason | August 11, 2005 11:52 PM

Wren: I checked the carillon website and there wasn't anything about requesting songs. Although I guess you could e-mail the carillonist.

Lemming: Aquarium, yeah. [shudder]

Mason: The one I remember you really overplaying was Loreena McKennitt, although there are probably others that I'm blocking out.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 12, 2005 12:12 AM

I definitely overplayed Loreena McKennitt (a few songs in particular), but I think the average Lloydie was happy when I was playing that stuff instead of other stuff that I could have been playing. :)

Posted by: Mason | August 12, 2005 6:26 PM

Therre's a carillion website? Where? Where?

I'm a little hyper; just finished the second round of revisions -- I may soon catch up with *everyone I know* and have a publication!

Posted by: Wren | August 12, 2005 8:22 PM

Carillon website is here: http://ls.berkeley.edu/dept/music/carillon.html

Good luck on that publication!

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 12, 2005 11:28 PM