September 7, 2005

Dancing as an ensemble of spins in a magnetic field

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at September 7, 2005 9:46 PM

At tonight's ballroom dance class, the instructor at one point explained that it's important to finish a particular turn at the appropriate angle, so that when the motion is reversed one ends up at the original angle. Of course, my brain immediately translated this into the all-too-familiar concept of phase coherence and the difficulties of random phase noise. Unfortunately the foot-change doesn't act as a spin-echo pulse to correct the phase variation.

My personal dephasing rate appears to be very high. And let's not even talk about my foot parity non-conservation.

Tags: Life, Physics
Comments

Ballroom dance class? MORE DETAILS!

Posted by: Lemming | September 7, 2005 10:13 PM

This is especially funny because it happens to be the (secret) topic of my most recent blog post. An out of context quote, it was actually commentary on angular momentum that conjured up a mental image of a dog peeing. FTW!

Posted by: Lemming | September 7, 2005 10:15 PM

Sorry, I'm scatterbrained. Was an out-of-context quote from the dance instructor, no less.

Posted by: Lemming | September 7, 2005 10:16 PM

Travis, did you see the exposition of the BCS-BEC crossover in Physics Today a while back that was illustrating the weakly bound versus strongly bounded situation with an appropriate dance (or at least relative location of dancers) depicted?

Posted by: Mason | September 7, 2005 11:31 PM

Lemming: I was wondering what that was about. As for details, this is the UCBD's beginner social class that meets Weds. evenings. They rotate between various dances every two weeks or so; this week and next is waltz.

Mason: I did not see that. I have, however, seen a video of the interpretive dance that Marvin Cohen came up with to illustrate Cooper pairing to a non-technical audience.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 7, 2005 11:47 PM

"Waltz" isn't very specific... American? International? Viennese? If it's International, you've gotta save me a dance. At one point at least I could follow decently (and lead too, come to think of it). If I could still follow International well, I might be able to follow the basics of American just by their similarities. If you're learning Viennese (are you "travelling hella fast"?) then I've no hope.

Posted by: Lemming | September 8, 2005 10:08 AM

The instructors did not educate us as to which style of waltz we were learning, but using the internets I infer that it was International.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 8, 2005 12:23 PM

The pictures from the article may well be from Marvin Cohen's gig.

Posted by: Mason | September 8, 2005 4:19 PM