September 28, 2005

DeLay! Indicted!

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at September 28, 2005 10:13 AM
DeLay indicted, will step aside as majority leader

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Texas grand jury on Wednesday charged Rep. Tom DeLay and two political associates with conspiracy in a campaign finance scheme, forcing the House majority leader to temporarily relinquish his post.

DeLay's attorney Steve Brittain said DeLay was accused of a criminal conspiracy along with two associates, John Colyandro, former executive director of a Texas political action committee formed by DeLay, and Jim Ellis, who heads DeLay's national political committee.

"I have notified the speaker that I will temporarily step aside from my position as majority leader pursuant to rules of the House Republican Conference and the actions of the Travis County district attorney today," DeLay said.

I honestly didn't think it would happen—I figured DeLay was untouchably powerful.

Tags: House of Representatives, Politics, Republicans
Comments

I just saw this acticle and was going to send it to you becuase i thought youd like it.

Posted by: shellock | September 28, 2005 12:57 PM

Oh yes. This post from The Poor Man captures my reaction pretty well.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 28, 2005 2:39 PM

I love good news! This is awesome.

And now my "6 degrees of Tom Delay" joke I use in my talks on congress will be especially good... :)

Posted by: Mason | September 28, 2005 4:06 PM

Good news indeed! I'm hoping the Feds nail Duke Cunningham, one of our esteemed San Diego Congressmen, next. For a city that's had a corrupt merry-go-round of councilmen and mayors (every city ought to have a "Strippergate" scandal), what can one expect next?

Posted by: Jolene | September 29, 2005 11:33 AM

Jolene: Did I ever post the link to the Duke Cunningham Shenanigans Worksheet? It's here.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 29, 2005 11:51 AM

Gazebo: I haven't seen that before. That's awesome!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 29, 2005 12:16 PM

Oops, that last comment was me. And any document that uses the word "shenanigans" has to have some amount of merit.

Posted by: Jolene | September 29, 2005 12:17 PM

"What happens in San Diego stays in San Diego."

Posted by: Mason Porter | September 29, 2005 2:34 PM