September 26, 2005

Ring Ring Ring

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at September 26, 2005 1:42 PM

Somebody made a reference to a "bananaphone" song the other day, and I was sufficiently intrigued to Google it. Helpfully, Wikipedia has an article on this topic. Unhelpfully, now that I've heard the song it's proving incredibly difficult to dislodge from infinite loop in my head.

On the other hand, I now understand this Nothing Nice strip.

Tags: Music
Comments

You are much better served to stick with the new Iron & Wine/Calexico effort. I am telling you, what a great CD.

Posted by: JSpur | September 26, 2005 2:28 PM

I dunno, I followed the Wikipedia link and I gotta say it's kinda catchy. While perhaps unpleasant at first, I imagine that developing a tolerance (or even a liking!) of the song instills you with a dark and evil power over others.

On that note, I feel a strong kinship to the dude in the banana suit with a baseball bat in the Ghostal Media flash on Wikipedia. Here's the link:

Posted by: Lemming | September 26, 2005 3:07 PM

After looking up that wikipedia entry, I checked to make sure "All your base are belong to us" was there.

Posted by: Mason | September 26, 2005 3:51 PM

Yeah, Wikipedia's not too bad for internet memes.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 26, 2005 5:06 PM

My Georgia Tech postdoc mentor is now listed in wikipedia. (He has an important thing in dynamical systems named after him---one of the two canonical examples of a certain thing---so his very brief entry was an outgrowth of that entry.) I don't have an entry, but there is a brief reference to me. :)

Posted by: Mason | September 26, 2005 5:13 PM

There's a Wikipedia disambiguation page for my advisor's name, but he's not among the 9 people listed. :)

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 26, 2005 6:44 PM

On the subject of memes, here is one that probably was one at some point, but I don't remember it.

I checked how popular my name was among US babies born the same year as me (1976). It ranked 515th among males.

It was immediately after (in order) Joaquin, Quinton, Efrain, and Luther.

It was after male names that include Clinton, Antoine, Tyson, Demetrius, Brock, Chadwick, Trent, Courtney, Terrell, Scotty, Levi, Cornelius, Kareem, Dion, Otis, Everett, Roman, Guadalupe, Antwan, Scottie, Darius, Thaddeus.

It was before male names that included Zachariah, Santiago, Deon, Elton, Amos, Roosevelt, Sterling, Jarvis, Kenyatta, Deandre, Tremayne, Giovanni, Barrett, Delbert, Rufus, Kenyon, Chet, Chance, Rocco, Cornell, Keenan, Jovan, Theron, Titus, Kirby, Laron, Jasper, Ulysses, Rashad, Taurus, Boyd, Fidel, Giuseppe, Tristan, Vito [comment: hah! victory!], Torrance, Demarcus, Elbert, Dax, Junior, Shea, Tobin, Lashawn, Silas, Cortez, Amy, Rahsaan, Germaine, Barton, Leif, Valentin, Roscoe, Uriah, Augustine, Darwin, Kermit, Chauncey, Cortney, Michelle, Jabari, Tito, Donta, Cullen, Enoch, Che, and Constantine.

From 1990-2004, it has increased steadily and practically monotically from 208 to 52. (There were two blips during this time when the ranking went down one spot from one year to another.) I preferred it when my name was less common... although once you get down to 500, there are some _really_ screwed up names around.

I looked this up (instead of doing more productive things) after seeing an article about the rise and fall of names as a function of celebrities (infamous or otherwise---just the names being in the news).

The place is to look is http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

Posted by: Mason | September 26, 2005 9:08 PM

Mason: Freakonomics had an interesting chapter on the trends that drive baby names.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 27, 2005 12:49 PM

I should take a look at that. In some cases (see: Frank Zappa), it's the drugs. :)

Posted by: Mason | September 27, 2005 2:04 PM