September 13, 2005

The Road to Pretentious Music Geek Hell, Part the Second

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at September 13, 2005 12:30 PM

I'm not one of those people who prefers to listen to vinyl records. But after learning that the vinyl edition of the Decemberists' Picaresque will have five bonus songs, I kind of wish I were.

There is actually a record player in the lab, possibly even operational (its radio tuner still works at least). So I could start buying vinyl music to listen to while doing experiments. My advisor's always worried about noise generated by digital electronics, so presumably he'd approve of the analog approach, and there's an abundance of ADCs if I want to get those bonus songs into iTunes. Or I could go with my original plan of just plugging my iPod into the record player's auxiliary port.

Tags: Lab, Music
Comments

What about us poor saps who bought the album via iTMS?

Posted by: Lemming | September 13, 2005 2:36 PM

Oh, and an oft-forgotten technical detail--the audio output port from most turntables is not amplified, and is driven (if at all? trying to remember) at a signifigantly lower level than a standard line-level audio jack. Plug it into a typical input on an amp or reciever, and you'll have to blow the volume way up to hear anything at all. Your player ain't broken, you're just plugging it into the wrong hole.

Ew.

Posted by: Lemming | September 13, 2005 2:51 PM

You iTMS people also missed out on the photos of band members in costume acting out scenes from the songs, which were in the CD liner notes. :) Apparently the LP has even more such photos...

Good to know about turntables, in case I ever decide I need one. The one in lab at least is built into the receiver, which is convenient.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 13, 2005 3:28 PM

I remember back in the day using a turntable at home and trying to master the art of starting the record at the track I wanted. I know some people are really good at it, but it always seemed like a pretty good way to scratch a record to me. (With this statement, I am once again dating myself. Somehow I can date myself but not anyone else. I need to stop that.)

Posted by: Mason | September 13, 2005 6:51 PM

You know Mason, I've heard that reduces the risk of prostate cancer. (Go Doonesbury!)

You've just gotta aim for the flat inter-track grooves, where it doesn't matter if you scratch it. That, and not have much (if any!) motion perpendicular to the line of the groove.

I'm more familiar with 45s, of course, so this isn't a problem. The only reason I know anything at all is because my Dad uses a turntable professionally several nights a week to this day--no, he's not a DJ. Well, not quite.

Posted by: Lemming | September 14, 2005 9:45 AM

Dating oneself helps reduce the risk of prostrate cancer? Go me! That's the second best news I heard all day! (Coincidentally, a prostrate cancer commercial was showing as I read your message, but that's probably mostly because I have ESPN on.)

It would definitely help if I were a little more dextrous. (For both the 45s and dating myself, I suppose.)

Posted by: Mason | September 14, 2005 6:42 PM

Though I guess what we all really need to worry about is colon cancer though. Same hatch, though.

Posted by: Lemming | September 14, 2005 11:00 PM

Though I should though proofread though though.

Though.

Posted by: Lemming | September 14, 2005 11:00 PM

I don't worry about colon cancer! I embrace it!

(Actually, heart disease will probably nail me before colon cancer has a chance, but I might as well joke about it at my own expense until I fulfill my destiny. Or something like that...)

I have such a positive outlook. :)

Posted by: Mason | September 15, 2005 1:36 AM

So long as you're not embracing *my* colon, I think I can accept that.

Posted by: Lemming | September 15, 2005 10:09 AM

Don't worry. Your colon is safe from me.

Posted by: Mason | September 15, 2005 10:52 PM