September 12, 2005

Voyage Westward [Open Thread]

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at September 12, 2005 3:25 PM

Open thread on Monday? Madness!

Next week my brother and I are driving from Dallas to Los Angeles, where he will be taking up residence. (The westward migration of my social network continues!) We leave on Talk Like A Pirate Day, no doubt with many an "Arr!" and "Avast!" to confuse the gas station attendants in roadside Texas towns. I intend to photoblog the interesting sun belt attractions (if any).

Hopefully the power will be back on by the time we get to L.A.

Get Him Eat Him: Geography Cones: Somehow I feel guilty about listening to music by an indie band whose frontman is a writer for Pitchfork, as if this is a fatal indulgence in hipsterism that will condemn me to a special level of hell reserved for pretentious music geeks. On the other hand, Get Him Eat Him is a great name for a rock band, bringing to my mind an image of some ravenous, ferocious animal being sicced on someone. Which is more or less what this band sounds like at its best, when the frantic guitars sound like they're racing each other to some meaty prize. The lyrics occasionally veer into the kind of showy obscurity that make a fraction of Pitchfork's reviews unreadable, but also have moments of brilliance. ("You're so pretty you could destroy the city" somehow seems right even though, thinking about it, it doesn't really make any sense. I guess Helen of Troy was so pretty that she did indeed destroy the city, maybe there's a Homeric interpretation to that song.) My favorite track is probably "Not Not Nervous" unless it's "Mumble Mumble", there's lots of good stuff here.

Tags: Music, Open Thread, Pirates, Travel
Comments

Are you planning a stop in Pasadena? (And hopefully that will occur while I am in town, as I have an upcoming trip that could overlap with your time in LA.)

Also, be sure to photoblog people's reactions to the pirate speak. :)

In other news, I was trying to procure some staples at work today and I accidently came across a key inside a small package labeled "liquid nitrogen key". (You should, by the way, be aware of the big smile on my face as I write this.) This has possibilities... [Moving to a condensed matter group may have some extra benefits...]

Posted by: Mason | September 12, 2005 5:19 PM

Let me make a modification to Mason's question. When are you planning to stop in LA?

Posted by: Lemming | September 12, 2005 6:15 PM

It'll be the 23rd and the 24th (Friday and Saturday). Part of that will be occupied with helping my brother move in, but it seems like I owe you guys a Call of Cthulhu game... :)

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 12, 2005 6:23 PM

Yeah, that's what I meant to ask. Oftentimes, I need to rely on my more coherent friends. (I also occasionally rely on Tim.)

Your timing is absolutely wonderful, by the way. I leave on Sunday 9/25.

And you definitely owe us a Cthulhu game! :)

Game on!

Oh and maybe some colon cancer too? Black Angus? Claimjumper?

Posted by: Mason | September 12, 2005 10:38 PM

I'd feel bad if I didn't at least say: Arr! Avast! Ahoy!

Then again, it seems that recently, every day has been Talk Like A Pirate Day.

Also, yes, steaks and Cthulu and stuff.

Posted by: Mike^2 | September 13, 2005 6:13 AM

Having just done some cross-country driving with your brother I'm wondering how you all are going to come to a compromise on choice of music. Have you already worked out some kind of protocol or are you gonna make it up as you go along?

Oh and be prepared for some metal. Quite a lot of metal, actually.

And some of it is really pretty good.

Posted by: Dad | September 13, 2005 12:47 PM

I'm sure we'll switch off iPods according to some fair and balanced procedure. Or! We could make a combined playlist for maximum shuffle whiplash. But I think that would be too weird.

Anyway, metal's not a problem—you may recall that I gave him some good metal CDs at his graduation...

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 13, 2005 1:42 PM

Now that you mention it I remember he played some of it for me.

Posted by: Dad | September 13, 2005 1:58 PM

Speaking of Pitchfork, check out the rave they gave the new Iron & Wine/Calexico release.

Posted by: Dad | September 14, 2005 2:50 PM

I saw that this morning. My list of CDs to buy before the road trip keeps getting longer...

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 14, 2005 3:17 PM

I don't know if it's just me, but that mp3 isn't showing up at all; I get a 404 when I click on it. Was hoping it'd fix itself, but it doesn't appear to be doing so. Not to, um, be picky or anything about the free music and all...

Posted by: Lanth | September 17, 2005 10:57 PM

Heh, I managed to screw up the mp3 link AGAIN. Try it now. Also, when that one fails the one on the sidebar is more likely to succeed, for mysterious reasons. (Or for the reason that I usually modify the sidebar link from the previous one but create the one in the post from scratch.)

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 17, 2005 11:08 PM