October 4, 2005

I need to watch the Daily Show this week.

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at October 4, 2005 3:34 PM

I've been giving careful consideration to Bush's nomination of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court, and it is my considered legal opinion that this is hilarious. Mere weeks after he gets in trouble for putting a laughably unqualified crony in charge of FEMA, and his nominee is someone distinguished for being the Texas Lottery Commissioner and for saying that Bush is the most brilliant man she had ever met? (That last part should be enough to disqualify her from any public office, ever.) And if this weren't boneheaded enough, he's got the social conservatives frothing with rage because they were expecting the Spanish Inquisition. I think the best advice for Democrats is to grab some popcorn and watch the fireworks.

Wait, there's more! Here's an AP photo of Miers briefing President Bush... on August 6, 2001! Anyone remember the title of that briefing? You may recall something like "Bin Laden Determined to Strike in U.S." Clearly her job performance merits a promotion to the Supreme Court of the United States.

We all knew that Bush was going to fuck up the Court, but he is to be commended for attempting to fuck it up in the funniest way possible. Ladies and gentlemen, the Bush Administration has descended into self-parody.

Tags: Bush Administration, George W. Bush, Politics, Supreme Court
Comments

As far as Bush being the smartest person she's met, she clearly needs to get out more. You know, talk to the gardener working next door, the person behind the counter at McDonalds, and some more of the people in the neighborhood.

As far as the smartest people I've ever met, it's really hard to tell at this point, but I know tons and tons of people who kick my ass. (One of the big things I first appreciated in college is that there are tons and tons of people who kick my ass intellectually.)

Posted by: Mason | October 4, 2005 3:57 PM

Only by the grace of my pessimistic cynicism do I have the power to laugh at this.

Posted by: Lemming | October 4, 2005 3:57 PM

It's sort of like Steve Martin's laughter in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles when he says to John Candy, "You finally did it to yourself." We're used to Bush making horrible decisions but the consequences are usually for other people to deal with--rarely does it so spectacularly explode in his own face.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | October 4, 2005 4:06 PM

I have looked at this woman's resume.

Second tier law school.

Third tier law firm.

Political hack.

Couldn't pour piss out of an intellectual boot if the instructions were written on the heel.

Okay, you know what? This makes no sense.

You could stand in the middle of Park Avenue or Pennsylvania Avenue and throw a rock and you'd hit seventy-five lawyers better qualified to be a Supreme Court Justice than this nobody. I personally could name you twenty.

I mean what in the world is going on here?

The shades of Brandeis and Frankfurter and Black and Rehnquist himself must have lathed themselves silly, to an out-and-out fare-thee-well, and by now they are no doubt gathered in whirled exhaustion at the bar in that Great Courtroom in the Sky and saying what the fuck?

The highest court in the land has a vacancy and Bush has appointed a former Lottery Commission head?

There can only be two explanations.

Explanation One- the White House has gone totally around the bend. They are well and truly off their meds. They actually think they can get this done. Slide this glorified paralegal through the Senate on sheer political confusion- the Dems say, she sucks so badly, and yet she's a woman, so we don't know how to oppose her.

The Republicans bleat out their formulaic yesses.

And she gets the seat and without a by your leave or have an apple she becomes the William O Douglas of the Right, essentially doing her level best to dismantle the First Amendment so children can be taught religious nincompoopery instead of analytical thinking.

Or maybe now and then she rises up in the middle of oral argument to sing "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow"- which is all that she seems really qualified to do.

Assuming, that is, she can sing.

Explanation Two- she's cannon fodder, pure and simple. Appointed for the sole purpose of being gunned down by left and right alike in a nationally televised ritual bloodletting that will pave the way for the Real Nominee.

Meantime her payoff is, she gets a footnote in the history books, more than she deserves no doubt, but said books only become heavier, not more meaningful, as a consequence.

All I can say is, I hope the mini-bar in this hotel stocks cognac.

This is clearly one of those Signs That the Armageddon is Upon Us.

Posted by: JSpur | October 4, 2005 9:37 PM

Correction- meant Apocalypse instead of Armageddon. Should have finished the post before I found the cognac.

Posted by: JSpur | October 4, 2005 9:51 PM

The intellectual boot comment was priceless. I liked that.

Posted by: Mason | October 4, 2005 9:54 PM

Adding to the WTF factor, apparently radical cleric James Dobson has double-super-secret information about Miers that's won him over.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | October 5, 2005 11:16 AM

"And if this weren't boneheaded enough, he's got the social conservatives frothing with rage because they were expecting the Spanish Inquisition."

Hahaha, that's awesome.

Posted by: Kyle | October 6, 2005 5:57 AM

I think bush has been "drinking the koolade"

Posted by: shellock | October 6, 2005 7:51 AM