January 18, 2006

The editors wish to issue a correction

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at January 18, 2006 10:22 PM

The semester started this week at Cal, which means very little to me except that I am back to the social ballroom dance classes. Tonight's class was East Coast Swing. Now, I have made several prior attempts to learn swing dancing, and in the process it's possible that I made negative remarks about dancing in general, swing in particular, and my estimated abilities to do either. I hereby retract all such remarks I may or may not have made. Swing is awesome.

Tags: Life, UC Berkeley
Comments

Yes, yes it is.

That's part of why I've been enjoying Salsa much--it's the same idea, built around a different rhythm.

Sorry I failed you as a teacher. :P

Posted by: Lemming | January 19, 2006 1:46 AM

I saw a Swing presentation at my high school. The guy in it was a friend of mine, and he looked like he was having the time of his life. He later went on to date the girl I had a crush on.

Since then, I've ever had envy of swing dancers.

Posted by: Josh | January 19, 2006 2:25 AM

Hello! I just started waltz and quickstep last night at Stanford, tryin' to go the gentrified route and all that jazz-er, waltz. The instructor had two of his students there to demonstrate the two dance styles. Both were perhaps four feet tall, and boy oh boy, could they move! Eric and I kept debating whose lunch money we were going to take first...the boy looked more dorky, the girl more snooty...it was really a toss-up.

Posted by: Cheryl | January 19, 2006 6:21 AM

I love dance so much I cuaght mono to get out of dance lessons with sharon :) But yes watching good swing is cool. Doing good swing is probably cool to by my lack of rhytem makes that virtually impossible.

Posted by: shellock | January 19, 2006 8:05 AM

Lack of rhythm? I think I'd be impressed by anyone who couldn't follow the rhythm of, say, Sing Sing Sing (With a Swing).

Waltz is actually more fun than it looks, but more of a "I'm walking on air" feeling than the "zomg KAPOW!" you get from swing.

Posted by: Lemming | January 19, 2006 9:31 AM

Swing is fun, but take a lesson from me and don't wear tight pants and don't drop your partner. At an Aggie Wrangler's swing lesson I more or less simultaneously split the entire crotch of my pants and dropped my future wife. This was about the end of my swing dancing career.

Posted by: Michael H | January 19, 2006 9:59 AM

Actually, in my past attempts my lack of rhythm was a big problem. I seem to have remedied it over the years with many hours of DDR/Donkey Konga/Guitar Hero.

Cheryl: Waltz was one of the dances in last semester's set; I had some phase noise problems with that one. Fortunately that's less of an issue with swing.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | January 19, 2006 11:30 AM

...I understand the phase noise bit. I had that with a few of my partners last night, followed immediately by someone stepping on someone else's foot. Generally, I was doing the stepping - not good.

Waltz feels just a tad weird for that "looking left and makign sure you have a haughty sneer on your face" bit. Swing is much more fun and relaxed. Nonetheless, I do enjoy the idea of wafting over the floor with Eric - whether or not we actually get to that point. :)

Posted by: Cheryl | January 19, 2006 1:33 PM

Congratulations. And I'm not surprised about DDR helping, though I've found that, after being a dedicated player for 3 years, I haven't been on a machine again since I took up swing, salsa, and blues. Be careful not to get sucked to deeply into involved though, if you're short on time -- short of blowing out a knee doing something stupid, once you turn to the Lindy Side, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Posted by: agm | January 19, 2006 3:35 PM

Yeah, it's clear that what I don't need right now is one more time sink...

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | January 19, 2006 4:34 PM

I could think of a certian type of time sync that might do you some good...

Posted by: shellock | January 20, 2006 5:29 AM

Shellock: In that respect, dancing has some marginal advantages over the other ways I allocate my spare time.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | January 20, 2006 9:12 AM