January 16, 2006

Undead Music [Open Thread]

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at January 16, 2006 12:22 PM

My first week back in lab convinced me that I needed more vacation, so I took off to Los Angeles for the long weekend. (Hence the lack of blogging.) I'll be back in Berkeley tomorrow.

Stubbs the Zombie OST: I still haven't played the game Stubbs the Zombie, but I bought the soundtrack after hearing that they had commissioned a bunch of indie and alt-rock bands to cover 50's pop songs—the ones you might find on the soundtracks to Stand By Me or Back to the Future. Some of these stay pretty close to the original: Ben Kweller's "Lollipop" that opens the album, or Death Cab for Cutie's take on "Earth Angel". Cake presents "Strangers in the Night" with just a hint of uncertainty, as if the singer doesn't quite believe what he's saying, and the Raveonettes attach sinister overtones to one of the singers in "My Boyfriend's Back", while maintaining total sincerity in the other voice, for an interesting effect. (That track is from their album Pretty in Black, which is now on my list to investigate.) A few of the tracks stray a little further: "Shakin' All Over" in the hands of Rose Hill Drive becomes a hard rock song, but unfortunately not in an interesting way. The Flaming Lips' "If I Only Had a Brain" is amusing but hard to describe here. My favorite, though, is what Rogue Wave has done with "Everyday", modernizing the song without losing its style. The album as a whole is sort of a novelty—I don't see myself putting more than a couple tracks in regular rotation—but it's pretty interesting all the same.

Tags: Music, Open Thread
Comments

Love that Rogue Wave tune- it came in handy on a day which has been a bit of a challenge because, oddly enough, both too much and not enough has been happening. thanks for posting the link.

Posted by: JSpur | January 16, 2006 12:32 PM

Hey, can I borrow the CD at some point?
Thanks-

Posted by: Wren | January 16, 2006 12:49 PM

The Ravonettes were the opening act at the Depeche Mode concert I attended. They started with a cover of an old song (I am blanking out on which). They had a couple tracks I liked (with a style that sounded kind of like Garbage's) and a couple that weren't so hot. However, I have never (to my knowledge) heard studio versions of any of their works and the acoustics definitely seemed suboptimal during their act, so this is a very preliminary opinion.

Posted by: Mason | January 16, 2006 1:12 PM

Okay I just listened to the Rogue Wave track again (yeah, what with the markets closed and all it's been kinda slow today) and I'm wondering if that is at all representative of that band's sound because if it is I might seriously be interested in more of their music. Anybody willing to say?

Posted by: JSpur | January 16, 2006 1:40 PM

I'd be interested in listening to more Rogue Wave too. I do love that track. But I'd listen to the band just because of its name, honestly. A name like "Death Cab for Cutie" tries too hard and too little at the same time. Rogue Wave is much cooler of a name.

Posted by: Josh | January 16, 2006 9:40 PM

Wren: Sure!

JSpur: I'm not terribly familiar with Rogue Wave beyond this particular track. A quick search finds some positive reviews of their albums. Will investigate further.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | January 17, 2006 2:44 AM