March 2, 2006

Are the dolphins embarrassed too?

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at March 2, 2006 7:46 PM

Via alicublog, Peggy Noonan has a hilariously crazy column up in which she asserts that (a) she is such a delicate flower that she feels violated by the fact that modern culture does not adhere to Victorian standards of propriety, and (b) for Lent, she is giving up not being an obnoxious prude. One might wonder how we would know the difference, but fortunately she's come up with a catchphrase:

Lent began yesterday, and I mean to give up a great deal, as you would too if you were me. One of the things I mean to give up is the habit of thinking it and not saying it. A lady has some rights, and this happens to be one I can assert.

"You are embarrassing the angels." This is what I intend to say for the next 40 days whenever I see someone who is hurting the culture, hurting human dignity, denying the stature of a human being. I mean to say it with belief, with an eye to instruction, but also pointedly, uncompromisingly. As a lady would. All invited to join in.

Can you believe that someone wrote that, and it was published in The Wall Street Journal? Peggy, you are embarrassing the humans. Anyway, I for one look forward to seeing her quoted on Overheard in New York trying out her new slogan.

Tags: Psychoceramics, Religion
Comments

You know, I read pretty much your entire post before I realized she wasn't being sarcastic (I don't know who this person is).

Posted by: Lemming | March 2, 2006 8:30 PM

She's a conservative pundit, and was a speechwriter for Reagan. Without that context it does look like satire. Peggy Noonan could be a Fafblog contributor without necessarily changing any of her writing.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | March 2, 2006 8:49 PM

I know who Peggy Noonan is, and I still wondered if it was satire.

Honestly, if the angels have any sensibilities at all, they've covered their eyes at this point.

Posted by: Lanth | March 2, 2006 11:55 PM

Although I wholeheartedly approve of the 'if I think it, I'll say it' philosophy...

Granted, what she is thinking is bloody asinine, but maybe she can work on that part next. :)

Posted by: Mason | March 3, 2006 12:23 AM

Mason, you're embarassing the angels!

Posted by: Lemming | March 3, 2006 1:44 AM

I was going to take offense about such women invoking "Victorian standards" but I see she does not claim such thing in the article. After all, the victorian age has an optimist focus on science that does not exist anymore between the conservative class.

Posted by: Alejandro Rivero | March 3, 2006 1:58 AM

Yeah, well you're embarrassing Cthulhu!

Posted by: Mason | March 3, 2006 8:14 AM

<obligatory>Yeah, well your mom's embarassing!</obligatory>

Posted by: Lemming | March 3, 2006 12:59 PM

Is there a rule about a 'your mom' comment ending a thread? There should be one. (I know: It's your mom's rule!)

Posted by: Mason | March 3, 2006 9:35 PM

I just found this strip that somewhat relates to this article:

Posted by: Jolene | March 6, 2006 11:35 AM

Jolene: The comics on that site are excellent. I may have occasion to reference the one you linked in the future.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | March 6, 2006 8:19 PM

Gazebo: Glad you like it--one of the co-writers is the guy who does Toothpaste for Dinner, which has some real classics.

Posted by: Jolene | March 7, 2006 9:44 AM