March 21, 2006

Ewwwww

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at March 21, 2006 3:59 PM

I'm not normally a squeamish person, but this Slate article on what to do if your eyeball falls out of its socket did me in. I had to go to Cute Overload for a chaser.

Tags: Randomness
Comments

This reminds me of something in the game version of I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream.

At some point, you are carrying around an eyeball in a jar and if the guards search you, you end up dropping the jar. The screen then shows a close-up of the eyeball rolling around. Anyway, one time when this happened to me, Aaron Oei had stopped by and was quite perturbed by the scene on the computer.

Posted by: Mason | March 21, 2006 4:44 PM

Aww man. No picture?

I am not terribly squeamish either, and am trying to train myself to be less so because I know someday we will have kids and the kids will get childhood injuries, and I want to remain calm and strong for them when it hurts and they need love. *cue sappy music*

Posted by: Laura | March 21, 2006 4:56 PM

Some interesting eyeball tidbits:

In the professional wrestling documentary Beyond the Mat (a very good film), there are some extras at the end of the VHS of footage that didn't make it into the film. Among this footage is Afa, the Wild Samoan, telling us about his case of globe luxation. His story was especially good because when he put his eye back in, he felt itching at the back. He had hair down to the jawline, you see, and he reached up with his finger and pulled at some hair on his forehead, and found that it had become trapped behind the eyeball. After successfully de-threading the hair (I believe this was all done in the ring to the gawking of his wrestling partners and onlookers), he was good to go, and did not lose any vision. I do not know whether or not he finished the match.

Barbarella, a french silent film from 1968, is famous for its shot of a woman's eyeball being sliced with a straight razor. And people say that our generation is desensitized due to more violent films.

Who could forget (don't look) this moment in David Bowie's recent tour? In Oslo, a sign of appreciation for fandom is to throw lollipops rather than flowers. This one did not happen to land in a happy place. But hey, at least it was his bad eye. That's right, that eye was permanently dilated as a kid during a fight with a schoolmate, where, if I remember correctly, his opponent pushed a compass into his eye.

On the lighter note, I always liked the Illyria line on Angel: "I will pull out there eyeballs just far enough to see their own mewling and mutilated bodies."

Posted by: Josh | March 21, 2006 4:58 PM

P.S. I typed Barbarella, by accident. That was due to me multitasking and searching OTHER cult films. This is obviously not the eye-slicing film The film in question is called Un chien Andalou. This doesn't lead you to the slicing moment, so feel free to click the link in safety.

Posted by: Josh | March 21, 2006 5:10 PM

Hey! Un chein Andalou was used in David Bowie's 1976 tour! Talk about karma!

Posted by: Josh | March 21, 2006 5:11 PM

Josh, you are really helping my day here.

\begin{nervouse breakdown}

I'm overworked and overstressed, and my scheduled visitor of a collaborator couldn't have come at a worse time (I had no idea this would happen when we scheduled it) because of all the other stuff that's landed on my plate at the same time (not to mention the stuff that's lasted longer than it should have). I also have a pageproof from hell that's sucking up time from the other things going on. I'm in the middle of a 'why the fuck do I do this to myself' phases. (Lemming: The fact that Coachella is after some of these things will either be done or it will be too late to do them and the need to escape has something to do with my sudden decision to do both days.)

Ugh, I need a vacation NOW and I can't afford to have one. Everything has blown up in my face the last couple months, and it's not stopping.

I'm not going to put the \end{} statement, so this thing isn't going to compile.

Of course, soon enough I'll be praising the academic's life, but right now I feel like I'm going through Hell.

Posted by: Mason | March 21, 2006 9:23 PM

Does anyone have a screwdriver and some vicodin handy? I think I broke Mason...

Posted by: Josh | March 21, 2006 9:32 PM

Actually, I decided to add the rant to the one comment in the hopes of partial stress relief. I do that sometimes, although it's not clear how much it works.

I'm, um... not exactly at my best at the moment. I think some people reading this might vaguely recall a couple of times when I was an undergrad when too much work/stress was pretty evident in my behavior.

When I wrote that, somehow it felt like your imagery was bringing back all the pain of recent weeks. :) Too many things have been going on lately, to say the least.

Posted by: Mason | March 22, 2006 12:29 AM

Don't worry, Mason. We'll go toe-to-toe on acts of insanity during high stress one day, and I'm sure that even if I don't beat you, I'll alleviate all your feelings that you are alone in needing to vent in extreme ways!

Posted by: Josh | March 22, 2006 2:12 AM

Coachella was mentioned upthread--I've pretty much decided to go. I'll skip the Ladytron show in SF (which is the night before the festival) and just see them at Coachella.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | March 22, 2006 5:51 PM

See you there. :)

Posted by: Mason | March 22, 2006 9:34 PM

Hi!!! Excellent resource you've got here!!! Will definately be back!!!

Posted by: Cox | May 15, 2007 10:56 PM