March 1, 2006

Mathematical Fashions

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at March 1, 2006 3:30 PM

While we toil away on our experiments in Birge Hall, the works of our mathematical colleagues in neighboring Evans become ever more mysterious.

The Sarong Theorem Archive: This page is an electronic archive of images of people proving theorems while wearing sarongs.

So what theorem would you choose when preparing a photo for this page? I would go with the proof of the error bound on Simpson's Rule, but I should give Mason first dibs on that.

Via Bitch, Ph.D.

Tags: Academia, Randomness, Science, UC Berkeley
Comments

What the fuck?!?

Actually, the Gazebo has "proven Simpson's Rule" publically more than I have, so I think I should leave that one for him. ("Proving Simpson's Rule" is a euphemism, by the way. I especially recommend that it be done with a pair of Elder Gods.)

I'm not sure which one I should do. I admit the Simpson's Rule bound would be appropriate, but the Cauchy Integral Theorem would also make a lot of sense. Or I could be a maverick and go all the way to KAM (as long as there's a lot of blackboard space and some time).

By the way, there is a former Techer (well, one that I know of) among the pictures on that page. She's either from the class of '00 or '01.

Posted by: Mason | March 1, 2006 9:34 PM

publicly even... damn my recent problems with the English language!

Posted by: Mason | March 1, 2006 9:35 PM

Yeah, I recognized the same person you did. I've run into her at Berkeley before, but I can't recall the context.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | March 1, 2006 9:49 PM

She's from the c/o '00. She *might* have graduated in '01, though.

Posted by: Wren | March 2, 2006 8:04 AM

Sometimes you math and science types skate a little close to the edge.

Posted by: jspur | March 2, 2006 2:44 PM

Come over to 747 Evans sometime. We have several sarongs and a digital camera.

Posted by: Ari Nieh | March 2, 2006 9:37 PM

Gazebo, clearly you need to dust off the notes for the Simpson's Rule proof. And some of the grad students may even remember one of the original presentations of it. :)

Posted by: Mason | March 3, 2006 12:54 AM