April 13, 2006

But is it an arcane menu?

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at April 13, 2006 10:44 PM

I was walking down 4th Ave in San Francisco today, just south of Golden Gate Park, when I saw these ads:

(Low quality because taken with my phone camera.) I should eat there sometime. Hey, does anyone know if those Chinese characters say "gazebo" or some approximation thereof?

Tags: Life, Photos, San Francisco
Comments

The blurriness could just have been a Deconstructing Gazebo sort of thing instead of the result of your phone camera. :)

Posted by: Mason | April 13, 2006 11:40 PM

The first word means "wind". The second means "pavilion" or "erect". So I assume that it would be "gazebo" altogether.

The Pinyin of this is "Fengting", probably an appropriate pronunciation would be the "Feng" as first tone (high, steady note), and "ting" as second tone (going from a low to a high note).

Posted by: Josh | April 14, 2006 1:20 AM

Thanks. I don't think I'll actually try to pronounce that, since I'll probably get the tone wrong and end up saying something obscene. :)

Off-topic, I just noticed that this was my 1000th post. (The numbers in the static links have an offset for historical reasons, so this one appears as #1658.) Yay for big round numbers!

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | April 14, 2006 3:27 PM

Josh you rock.

And AG, you rock too.

Here's to having sons who can read characters and produce big round numbers.

Have fun storming the castle, boys.

Posted by: JSpur | April 14, 2006 5:31 PM

Perhaps we can release your inner toning ability and you'll speak Chinese. I've spent the last week absorbing a researcher's lifetime of studies on how children learn music as opposed to how it is taught in schools. And it is like a huge enlightenment of what our schools should be like. Now I just have to figure out what we need to do to transform them from their American Puritan heritage.

Katie

Posted by: Katie | April 14, 2006 6:17 PM

Katie: does not mean i am bad at music do to poor teaching style? and here i am thinking i am rythmicly challenged...

Posted by: shellock | April 14, 2006 7:19 PM