April 4, 2006

Innovations in Masculinity Quantification

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at April 4, 2006 9:33 PM

Chad Orzel directs us to Dylan Stiles, who demonstrates what bored Stanford chemists do with laboratory equipment. The Man-O-Meter Challenge is unlikely to catch on in this lab, since most of our pressure gauges are permanently attached to vacuum systems, and don't measure overpressure anyway. However, considering my winning record at Lloyd House blow-pong, I expect I would do quite well at this. (This is probably not something I should admit.) I wish I had a comparable story to tell from our lab, but while we have been known to misuse tools such as the implement we refer to as the Grabby Hand of Science, we've never accomplished a repurposing quite as interesting as the Man-O-Meter.

Also, I don't think I'd heard the term "manometer" before; we always just say "pressure gauge". Is that nomenclature a chemistry thing?

Tags: Lab, Science
Comments

Let me repeat what I once stated in announcing the blow pong results at dinner: "There are two kinds of people in the world: those who suck and those who blow. Last night, we had a contest to see who could blow the hardest." (insert rim shot here)

Posted by: Mason | April 4, 2006 11:05 PM

Seems like a dangerous standard. Politicals are full of lots of hot air and should be able to blow well. However I would not call them "manly"

Posted by: shellock | April 5, 2006 5:28 AM

Not even in the days of The Body and The Governator? I suppose those are outliers.

Posted by: Lemming | April 5, 2006 9:35 AM

This post is one of those that I am going to work very hard to forget as soon as possible.

Posted by: JSpur | April 5, 2006 9:41 AM

After reading this post in my cube I was staring at my spaceballs poster. I rembered a line or two... "Suck Suck Suck" and "She's gone fro suck to blow"

Posted by: shellock | April 5, 2006 1:15 PM

"What happened to 7?"

Posted by: Mason | April 5, 2006 2:23 PM

I've heard pressure gauges called manometers by chemists very often.

This isn't the first time I've heard of chemists playing the sucking game on a manometer, but this is the most detailed and quantitative account of it.

This blog also has a funny treatment of a Columbia chemistry scandal that was mentioned in Science magazine a few weeks ago (of relevance to our lab because one of our projects references one of that lab's papers, and also because some people in our lab know people in that lab). I definitely think I need to read this blog regularly now that I've been directed to it again.

Posted by: Jolene | April 5, 2006 2:54 PM

Perhaps next these chemists should go back to the golf course and work on their putz.

Jolene: I remember seeing those posts, although I didn't have the background on the scandal. The author of that blog is usually pretty funny, even when writing on topics that should be incredibly dull (see today's post on the doors in his building being replaced).

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | April 5, 2006 3:04 PM