May 8, 2006

The Part Where I Always Get Killed [Open Thread]

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at May 8, 2006 3:09 PM

I wasn't going to buy a Nintendo DS, but the New Super Mario Bros. is making me seriously rethink that. Meanwhile, in music:

The Boy Least Likely To: The Best Party Ever: This is twee pop in a highly purified form, so sugary I suspect I'm getting cavities just by listening to it. There's a song called "Sleeping With A Gun Under My Pillow" and yet it sounds like something that could appear on Sesame Street. I do enjoy a certain amount of tweeness (see: Architecture in Helsinki) but this record is pushing the limits. On the other hand, the aforementioned "Sleeping With A Gun" is the only song that's actively annoying, and there are several really good tracks: "I See Spiders When I Close My Eyes" and "Hugging My Grudge" are both extremely likeable, and "I'm Glad I Hitched My Apple Wagon To Your Star" is fantastic. This latter song wins philosophical points for including the line, "I never would've got here if I'd followed my heart." Usually one is encouraged to follow one's heart, but for some of us these intuitions are really bad (especially when coupled with shyness) and can lead to a pretty dull existence. A much better strategy, as per the song, is to find some more adventurous and dynamic person to use as a guide until better intuitions develop. So let me thank those people to whose stars I've hitched my apple wagon over the years. As for the CD, it's very cutesy but generally enjoyable. Rating: 3.5/5

Tags: Games, Music, Open Thread
Comments

Yay, open thread!

You know what? FIRST POST!

Sorry about that, been one of those weeks. I'm not sure if I mean anything bad by that though.

Moving on...

Just wanted to make my obligatory comment taking irrational offense at any comment disparaging on the divine truth of "following one's heart", even though I know it's dumb as all get-out plenty often, but my blind relgious devotion to this hopelessly romantic ideal means I will be beating a path to your door with torch and pitchfork in hand, you vile heathen sensible disbeliever you!

Posted by: Lemming | May 8, 2006 4:55 PM

Unfortunately, the NCHS crowd listened to Travis' negative banter "This is the part where I always get killed" for the hardest sections of the last few levels of Super Mario and maybe some other games too.

Posted by: Katie | May 8, 2006 5:01 PM

That reminds me of of the old infinite-loop-of-savestate-death I inflicted on AG while trying to cycle an image of Samus in her undies on the screen.

Oh Samus, you tease. (Oh, and sorry again AG, though that was hilarious.)

Posted by: Lemming | May 8, 2006 5:04 PM

Ah, I saw that Mario review on Penny Arcade, and my new graduation money is glaring at, daring me to invest in new entertainment technology.

Posted by: Jeff Hodges | May 8, 2006 5:07 PM

New SMB is what is convincing me to finally get a DS, although now I'm waiting a couple weeks longer so I'll the (non-import) DS-lite along with it. (That is now coming out early June instead of mid May.)

Then again, I did make my pre-order of Zelda: Twilight Princess last July...

Posted by: Mason | May 8, 2006 5:11 PM

Lemming: I'll meet you halfway and agree that "follow your heart" is great advice for some people, just not for people like me who rolled low in the Wisdom department.

Katie: Yeah, I had that particular Super Mario Bros. incident in mind when I selected the post title. Originally the phrase referred to an old Foxtrot strip.

Jeff: That's where I found the review, too. They always have good things to say about the DS over there, but until now I hadn't felt such a strong need to acquire one.

Mason: I'll be going for the DS-lite as well if I decide to get one, even though its release is incoveniently right after I spend three weeks traveling.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | May 8, 2006 6:16 PM

Speaking of old school games and savestate fun, I want to announce to the world that I beat the original NES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles yesterday. Booya!

Posted by: Josh | May 8, 2006 10:44 PM

Having listened to the song you linked, I have to say that "twee" is a very odd bit of music. I tend to look for a certain degree of passion when I listen to music, which is one of the reasons why I generally despise most rap (which is almost all craft and mechanics, very little umph behind it IMO), and while that song was catchy, I didn't really get any emotional power behind it. You're right, if not for the lyrics, it sounded like it could have been on Seasame Street.

Posted by: Chris L-S | May 8, 2006 11:24 PM

If you say that again and dont die i will pull the plug...

I remember that party and that line all too well. I actual re hooked up that very nintendo recently but i can not find my super mario game :( So sharon and i have been making due with tetris

Posted by: shellock | May 9, 2006 10:28 AM

Chris: Twee pop can be passionate (again Architecture in Helsinki is a good example) but I'll agree that The Boy Least Likely To is more about pushing the cuteness buttons.

I tend to find that my aesthetic sense is more or less orthogonal to my emotional sense. Some artists do have an extra appeal because of the passion in their music (Sleater-Kinney, TV on the Radio), but there's an equal appeal for very dispassionate music (Ladytron, Pinback). I think what I look for in music is usually evocation of a particular mood rather than emotion.

Shellock: What, no Back to the Future?

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | May 9, 2006 11:14 AM

I still "use" back to the future... It holds down the game i am playing so the Nintedo works right

Posted by: shellock | May 9, 2006 11:21 AM

I look for evocation in various parts of life, but then again I also look for illusion and am trying my hand at conjuration.

Posted by: Mason | May 9, 2006 12:57 PM

Was there ever a console so finicky about it's cartridge slot? It's just a massive consipiracy by the Japanese to train US kids to be good at fellatio before the impending invasion.

Posted by: Lemming | May 9, 2006 7:32 PM

AG: If you're going to have to spend 3 weeks traveling, i'd recommend getting an import DS Lite beforehand, as well as a few of the truly great DS games to play. The cost isn't much more than getting the US version, it plays exactly the same, and you'll have something to keep you occupied when traveling if needed. :)

Posted by: Zifnab | May 9, 2006 7:38 PM

I played most of my NES games on my soundless tv. (It was the only tv I was allowed to use for my Nintendo, although I eventually earned the money to buy some external speakers to alleviate that problem. Still, much of my gaming for several years had music from CDs as background music instead of tunes from the game.)

Posted by: Mason | May 9, 2006 8:40 PM

Hmmm... I listened to AIH (Do the Whirlwind) on Yahoo! Launch, and it was definitely most interesting than "Apple Cart", though not nearly as insidious. What is the background of twee? It almost sounds like people heavily influenced by early console game music, which would again tie it back into the heading of this thread.

Posted by: Chris L-S | May 11, 2006 12:41 PM

I'm a little fuzzy on the origins of twee pop but as I understand it, it came out of the British post-punk scene in the mid '80s. The similarity to console game music may just be due to the shared emphasis on simple and upbeat melodies...

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | May 11, 2006 3:15 PM