July 21, 2006

Friday Lab Blogging: Proper Laboratory Attire

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at July 21, 2006 12:01 PM

Safety is a major concern in any lab, and in this group we are very dedicated to maintaining a safe environment. We are so dedicated that our last safety warden left to become a Buddhist monk. We'll see how long the next one lasts.

Some processes, such as silvering glass dewars, are sufficiently hazardous to alarm even the most reckless among us, and so we have assembled an appropriate set of gear, modeled below by Iskander:

safety boy

The stylish yellow lab coat, with detachable hood for the emo hoodie look, is flame- and acid-retardant, perfect for handling the fulminate byproducts of the silvering process. The face shield adds that edgy "riot gear" touch, but since a face shield only qualifies as secondary eye protection it is complemented by an elegant pair of safety goggles. Heavy gloves complete the outfit, removing any possibility that one might handle something delicately and thereby avoid the inevitable explosion.

Chemists in the audience are welcome to mock our misplaced concern and/or one-up us with stories of yet more elaborate lab outfits.

Tags: Lab, Photos
Comments

Putting me in mind of the old "New Yorker" vignettes that used to be entitled "Fashion Notes from all over."

Posted by: JSpur | July 21, 2006 12:57 PM

I think you should challenge the lab next door to a challenge to see who can get the most safety violations. (You know you want to do this.)

Oh, and call x5000. It's very important.

With those gloves, you might even be able to handle the blue-green goop leaking from the first floor ceiling, which has fallen with new vigor today. (As opposed to rising with new vigor, but that's something else entirely.)

Posted by: Mason | July 21, 2006 4:31 PM

That's impressively stylish safety gear. That outfit could probably be used to cosplay FFVI Cid too...

Also, on a positive note, being safe means not having your lab show up as the feature in a lab accident registry. (Above link may or may not be viewable only from a university/chemistry journal-enabled IP.)

Posted by: Jolene | July 21, 2006 5:20 PM

Mason: The Safety Violation Challenge would be a great idea if only it wouldn't get the lab shut down. However, every time we gear up for safety inspections I regale the other grad students with tales of the fire safety challenges from my Lloyd days...

Jolene: I can't believe I didn't think of that myself, but it's perfect for Cid. :) He definitely should have worn a face shield when handling Espers.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | July 21, 2006 6:11 PM

Or, at the very least, when talking to Kefka.

Posted by: Lemming | July 21, 2006 6:38 PM

Livermore made me take the Non-Lab Personal Protective Equipment safety training twice. It included flash animations of dancing safety googles and work boots.

Intriguingly, although I learned the classification system for hard hats (I did not know that many hard hats are also electrically insulated.) I did not learn anything about the PPE used in our lab.

Also, uncuff your pants when getting LN2 from the dewar. LN2 can get caught in the cuffs and give you a burn.

Posted by: Wren | July 21, 2006 8:11 PM

I'm sorry, I'm just not in the mood tonight---I have LN2 burn.

Posted by: Mason | July 22, 2006 12:32 AM