July 10, 2006

New quote needed

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at July 10, 2006 11:18 AM

The time has come to change the quote at the top of the blog. I still like the Milton quote, but it hasn't seemed as relevant lately. I'm on the lookout for something worthy to replace it. Suggestions are welcome for quotes that capture the spirit of this blog and look good at the top of the page. (This is probably also a good opportunity for subtle mockery.)

In the meantime, I will continue looking through classic literature and song lyrics.

Tags: Culture, Website
Comments

in no partuclair order some of my favioites though i doubt they will work for the blog:

"Stop the world I want to get off" - Charles M. Schulz, Charlie Brown

"I love mankind - it's people I can't stand." -Charles M. Schulz, Charlie Brown

it too long but...
"I am blinded by the light of god and truth and right as i wander thru the night without direction" - Paul Simon

"I am suround by idiots" - Scar (Lion King)

"I have learned to use the word impossible with the greatest of caution."
anonymous scientist

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw

"The devil can quote scripture for his own purpose" - Shakespeare

also for more ideas: http://www.curmudgeon-online.net/

Posted by: shellock | July 10, 2006 12:39 PM

Scar was just copying Dark Helmet, "I'm surrounded by assholes!"

(Sorry, filling in since Mason is out of town.)

Posted by: Lemming | July 10, 2006 1:20 PM

I used that quote a lot in high school. my favorite version was "I am surounded by idiots, present company excluded:

Posted by: shellock | July 10, 2006 1:31 PM

Pogo: "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Tennyson: "To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield."

Jeremiah Spur: "A thing can only be what it is."

Posted by: JSpur | July 10, 2006 2:20 PM

So, not a quote from classic literature; not from song lyrics; just a really good bumper sticker:
"Everyone has the right to be stupid sometimes; you are abusing your privlages"

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2006 2:41 PM

Foul Ole Ron: "Millennium hand and shrimp"

Mining the rest of the Pratchett Quote File:

"++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start."

"+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++"

"They both savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

" "What're quantum mechanics?"
- "I don't know. People who repair quantums, I suppose." "

"God does not play dice with the universe: He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who *smiles all the time*."

"FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC."

"Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on."

""Students?" barked the Archchancellor.
"Yes, Master. You know? They're the thinner ones with the pale faces? Because we're a *university*? They come with the whole thing, like rats --""

"If gharstely creatures from before the Dawna Time starts wavin' at you from under your bed, jus' you don't come complainin' to me,"

I'll try to come up with some non-Pratchett quotes later...

Posted by: Justin | July 10, 2006 2:53 PM

In some ways the masthead quote is a similar concept to a bumper sticker. Berkeley is one of the best places for amusing bumperstickers and I try to take a cameraphone picture when I see a good one... I always forget to upload those later.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | July 10, 2006 4:18 PM

The first line of your post made me think of this quote (not really much of a quote):

"'The time has come,' the Walrus said, 'to talk of many things...'"

I'm blanking on ideas right now, so I'll fall on my Ralph Waldo Emerson backup quote:

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."

Posted by: Jolene | July 10, 2006 6:30 PM

Regarding bumper stickers, my favorite is "The 't' in Republican stands for morality"

Another theme group: Demotivators

"Never be afraid to share your dreams with the world, because there's nothing the world loves more than the taste of really sweet dreams."

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."

"It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black."

"It's lonely at the top, but it's comforting to look down upon everyone at the bottom."

"Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers sometimes smell really bad."

"Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?""

"The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious."

Since AG is derived from D&D, I will now mine my RPG humor archive:

"A vampire wizard named Sume
Took a succubus into his tomb.
Where they argued all night
Over who had the right
To drain away what, and from whom."

"Is touching myself a full-round action?" Always a classic, that one...

"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself, and liches....."

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art combustible and conduct electricity." Or do the dragons/crunchy/good with ketchup version.

"Those who fight monsters must be careful not to become monsters. If you stare into the abyss for too long, you have to make some really nasty Random Encounter rolls."

"Curiosity killed the cat. Many people have wished that kender were that easy."

"How much darkwood could a paragon, half-celestial, fiendish, vampiric woodchuck lich chuck if it had a BAB of +263?"

"If a tree falls in the forest, and it hits a dwarf, nobody cares."

"You know you're an adventurer when your armor cost over 100,000 gold, but you only own one pair of underwear..."

"Ask not what a Baatezu can do for you, ask instead why he says he'll do it as a 'personal favor' for you."

Posted by: Justin | July 10, 2006 7:33 PM

A couple Three Kingdoms quotes for you:

"Do no evilness because it is a small one; do not leave a small deed undone because it is just a petty one." Liu Bei

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." Zhuge Liang

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2006 11:24 PM

Not to mention "Enemy officer defeated!" and "Are we not too far out?"

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | July 10, 2006 11:59 PM

There was a really great quote by Sima Yi that I didn't suggest because it's not really appropriate for a blog, but here it is nonetheless:

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. "

Also, here's Xiahou Dun with a quote I will explain in a moment:

"Essence of my father, blood of my mother, i cannot throw this away,"

This is referring to his eye. You remember how in the game he gets his eye shot out by an arrow and keeps on fighting? Well, in the actual Three Kingdoms story, he swallows his eye.

This, in the game, would perhaps not raise morale for his army. I imagine everyone just stopped fighing, stared at him, and took a giant step away from him before continuing with the battle.

Posted by: Josh | July 11, 2006 1:37 AM

for demotivation:
"winners never quit and quitters never win, but if your dont win and don't quit your a loser"

Posted by: shellock | July 11, 2006 4:43 AM

Name that board game:
"Everybody loves sheep, sheep go bah"

"You must play with your pieces"

"4 sheep go wood"

Posted by: shellock | July 11, 2006 6:31 AM

Name that board game:
"Everybody loves sheep, sheep go bah"

"You must play with your pieces"

"4 sheep go wood"

The game that I have been playing since high school, still love, yet have never won! Settlers of Catan!

Have you ever played Carcasonne?

Posted by: kitkatkc | July 11, 2006 7:03 AM

Regarding the above, this may be the company's most popular product:

Granted, I have yet to see someone wearing one of those shirts (outside of photos uploaded to board game websites or whatnot). And with good reason...

Regarding gaming in general: "You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation." (Plato)

My favorite despair.com motto: "The only consistent feature of all your dissatisfying relationships is you."

Posted by: Jolene | July 11, 2006 9:50 AM

kitkatkc: I've played Carcasonne, it's great. I keep meaning to buy a set the next time I'm at Games of Berkeley.

Jolene: That shirt is hilarious, although I don't think I'll be wearing it either...

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | July 11, 2006 11:33 AM

Lemming: Thanks for making sure my presence doesn't actually require my presence. I appreciate it!

Non sequitar: In the current session, we actually had a relief pitcher come in for a sign language interpreter. (I'd mention this on my blog --- once I have time to actually write an entry --- but I'm having trouble enough dealing with work e-mails. Only now have I finally gotten a chance to read Travis's blog. I might recapitulate later.)

Here is a bevy of quotes I have collected (including some of my own): Mason's quotes page.

Justin: I love the D & D poem.

I only looked through my collection briefly, but one that is appropriate for this site is: "Honk if you're in an excited state."

Posted by: Mason Porter | July 11, 2006 1:43 PM

The demotivationals make me think of one I saw on Dork Tower:

Fearless

"Fearless: Because sometimes you have to remind the DM that you ain't afraid of nothin'"

(follow the link, the picture makes it work even better)

Re: Sign language backup pitchers - I recall from talking with L that this is a very common occurence and maybe required. I'll ask her about it.

And while looking for one of my old favorite quotes, I ran across some others I like:

"Everybody is somebody else's weirdo." - Edsgar Dykstra

"The great events of an age appear, to those living through them, as backdrops only to the vastly more compelling dramas of their own lives, and how could it be otherwise?" - Guy Gavriel Kay, in ``Lord of Emperors''

"It would appear that we have reached the limits of what it is possible to achieve with computer technology, although one should be careful with such statements, as they tend to sound pretty silly in 5 years." - John Von Neumann, circa 1949

And finally, the one I was looking for:

"There are those who claim that magic is like the tide; that it swells and fades over the surface of the earth, collecting in concentrated pools here and there, almost disappearing from other spots, leaving them parched for wonder. There are also those who believe that if you stick your fingers up your nose and blow, it will increase your intelligence." - The Teachings of Ebenezum, Volume VII

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2006 4:03 PM

Ok, I vote for the Von Neumann one :) Nothing like realizing you're saying something stupid as you say it. As my second choice, Mason's bumper sticker contribution.

Mason, the backup sign language interpreters are pretty standard. Usually there are two or more interpreters who switch off every 30-60 minutes; signing can be tough on your hands, and real-time interpreting in any language is stressful. I can't even imagine trying to sign for a math conference. Fingerspelling the names alone would be killer.

Posted by: Lanth | July 11, 2006 6:06 PM

Dunno why my post came up as anonymous above, I entered the info. In any case, the anonymous one above Lanth's post is mine. :) Oh, and i'm not sure how good any of the quotes would be for the blog, just sharing ones I liked. :)

-Z

Posted by: Zifnab | July 11, 2006 7:00 PM

Zifnab: I've noticed an unusual number of anonymous comments that are obviously from regular commenters. I think I see where the problem is coming from so I'll try to fix it tonight.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | July 11, 2006 7:06 PM

The von Neumann quote is indeed excellent! I've seen it before in some articles about the origin of computing (and of scientific computing, for that matter). Still, he made so many awesome contributions in so many subjects that I think it's safe to forgive him.

I should go to bed. :)

Posted by: Mason | July 11, 2006 10:02 PM

If it's any help, the one that came up as anon from me I did hit preview before posting, while the one that came up correctly I just hit post. (I was checking to make sure I got the html right in the first one).

And, double checking that, when I hit preview, it loses the info from the boxes on the left, but quotes the post correctly when previewed. So i'll try to post this as is and see if it comes up as anon. Granted, you've prolly already figured out this is the problem, but i'm curious now. :)

-Zifnab

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2006 12:02 AM

Yeah, that was my guess, but strangely I'm not able to reproduce it myself (maybe Firefox is autofilling the form for me, but I usually turn that off). I thought perhaps I had fixed it a couple hours ago but obviously not. The template seems to be calling some javascript that wasn't actually installed, which is weird and annoying. I'm now trying a different method which may or may not work.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | July 12, 2006 12:12 AM