July 31, 2006

New York City, day 1

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at July 31, 2006 9:02 PM

Today was day 1 of my New York City tour; Shellock and I went to the Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum and the Museum of Modern Art. Some comments:

The Intrepid: A very cool museum built in an Essex-class aircraft carrier that was active in WWII and Vietnam. I'm not much of a military buff but I can definitely appreciate the feats of engineering involved in the design of an aircraft carrier, or of the various planes on display. One highlight was a mock-up of a submarine built in 1774 (!) and used against a British ship in the Revolutionary War; it is basically a barrel with a couple propellers and a pump (all hand-operated).

MoMA: Spectacular. I like the SF MoMA but it doesn't even compare to New York's collection. Lots of famous pieces by all the great modern artists, I especially enjoyed Hopper, Van Gogh, Matisse, Magritte, and a bunch of others I'm leaving out. However, the blank white canvas in San Francisco is better than the one in New York. Also, the museum cafe is quite good (but pricey).

New York Public Library: Closed Mondays, apparently. I may try again tomorrow if I'm in the vicinity.

Weather: Hot and humid but not as bad as it could be. Still, air conditioning and cold drinks were both in demand. Hence:

Random Chocolate Shop: I forget the name but it was near a bunch of Italian restaurants on the west side (something like 44th and 9th). We indulged in some "iced drinking chocolate" there which was quite good.

Overhearing: I kept an ear out for something worthy of submission to Overheard but haven't heard anything yet. However, I had the experience of saying something and realizing a second later that what I had just said would be a prime candidate for Overheard. I'm not sure whether it would be cool or disturbing to see it actually turn up there.

Tomorrow: I'm not sure yet, but I'm thinking about Ellis Island.

Tags: Travel
Comments

NYPL is really worth the trip; does it have a late day?

Posted by: Wren | July 31, 2006 9:23 PM

So, what is it that you said...?

Posted by: Mason | July 31, 2006 11:21 PM

I was there yet i can think what you said.

on MOMA: i did enjoy but i must say "I don't Get it" did describe a large number of pieces.

Posted by: shellock | August 1, 2006 7:32 AM

You must go to the battery and see the statue of liberty impersonators who are all men and mostly illegal aliens. Quite ironic on so many levels. Then hop on the staten island ferry (free) and flock to the west side of the boat to see the statue of liberty for real. Oh, walking across the brooklyn bridge is good too.

Cool chess stores in the washington square park area. AH! I should have read your post sooner! Live band heavy metal/rock karaoke monday nights at Arlene's Grocery (not a grocery) in the LES. It's a riot--be a rock star for 5 min, or watch really drunk women sing "fat bottomed girls" at the top of their lungs while mauling the emcee.

Wish I was still there...

Watch the heat!

Posted by: Mohi | August 1, 2006 11:36 AM

Did you see the arms and armor collection at MoMA? That's the key part of the museum. Not sure I ever saw any other part of it, in fact, I remember my feet being extremely sore from standing for so long by the time I was done with the arms & armor section. :-)

Posted by: Justin | August 1, 2006 11:44 AM

The armor collection is at the MET

Posted by: Mohi | August 1, 2006 12:07 PM

Sorry, acronym confusion between art museums. MoMA would be the modern art one, then? Never been there, probably would have shared Shellock's "don't get it" reaction if I had... Never mind!

Posted by: Justin | August 1, 2006 2:27 PM

Mohi! Yeah, you should have checked the blog last week. :) I did see the Statue of Liberty guys in Battery Park though.

Mason: If it were on Overheard, it would look like this:

Tourist guy #1: What would really be interesting is if Ron knocks up Hermione, and it brings in the abortion issue.

Tourist guy #2: Yeah, you could have a lot of fun with a wizard abortion clinic.

--50th & 6th

I'm paraphrasing the conversation and location, since I don't remember either precisely.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 1, 2006 7:40 PM

Hmmm... maybe I had to be there. It doesn't actually seem that funny.

As for wizard abortion clinics, they may also wish to employ a cleric for the occasional 'hold person' spell, but maybe that would just be employed by the cleric rapists.

Not to make any inappropriate comments or anything...

Posted by: Mason | August 2, 2006 1:32 AM

I didn't think it was tremendously funny either, just weird enough from the perspective of a hypothetical listener. (Also, weird quotes involving abortion seem to have a high probability of getting posted at Overheard.)

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 2, 2006 4:10 AM