July 24, 2006

Things that don't exist

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at July 24, 2006 11:30 AM

Scott Aaronson has a great anecdote from a philosophy talk. The speaker makes up for the sheer implausibility of his claim with the cleverness of his response to an obvious counterargument.

Tags: Philosophy
Comments

The speaker's response is indeed awesome! I approve.

By the way, I have seen Harvey Friedman give a talk, and he is extremely amusing. I believe he holds appointments in four departments: math, stats, philosophy, and religious studies. (I could look this up, but I'm lazy.) I think he also became an assistant professor at 18, so he's one of those freaks...

Posted by: Mason | July 24, 2006 12:36 PM

The mathematical representation of "Zing!" should be separate from the physicist's or chemist's or biologist's "Zing!" in the scientific community.

Posted by: Josh | July 24, 2006 7:40 PM

__
// \
Zn-| ||-Gd
\\__/

My obvious chemical representation. Settled for "Zinged!"

Obviously, apologies to anyone who knows anything about Chemistry and finds it ludicrous that I can pair two such elements into a ridiculous looking molecule like this. I'm sure they will come up with a better version for their community.

Posted by: Josh | July 24, 2006 7:51 PM

Stupid comments section and it's left-justification.

Should look like

Zn- -Gd

With a cute little hexagon in the middle.

Posted by: Josh | July 24, 2006 7:52 PM

Also, ideally for the mathematical representation, I'd include these elements in the equation:

I preface this by apologizing now to the mathematical community, since I don't remember anything since like 11th grade.

X, being the ratio of (time elapsed before a comeback is delivered) to (amount of observers awestruck by the comeback) approaches Zing! as X gets smaller.

I'm sure there's a way to phrase this as lim x = Zing! But I don't know how to do it myself.

Posted by: Josh | July 24, 2006 7:58 PM

Actually, the mathematical version of this is probably the "Zing theorem."

Also, if you really want to make something a mathematical representation of something, then you'll probably want to look in an abstract algebra book first. :)

Posted by: Mason | July 24, 2006 8:28 PM