July 16, 2006

What's missing from Guitar Hero?

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at July 16, 2006 9:32 PM

Stylus offers a list of songs overlooked for inclusion in Guitar Hero. Despite one selection that is clearly crazy and a fixation on hair, it's a respectable list. But the real reason to post this is to start a thread on the subject. What else should have been on the Guitar Hero setlist? I'd like to see some of the dueling guitars of Pretty Girls Make Graves ("Something Bigger, Something Brighter" would be good) or Sleater-Kinney ("I'm the Drama You've Been Craving"?) for the two-player game. Or anything by Built To Spill.

Tags: Games, Lists, Music
Comments

That whole piece on Stylus really rubs me the wrong way. I'd bet 80% or more of those cases should read as bands that tragically snubbed Guitar Hero by not allowing them to use the music, etc. Regardless of the licensing deals working out, etc, if the band doesn't want you to use the song, you won't and so the talks on some probably never even got that far.

Anyways... i'm not a good judge of music with guitars to say what would of been cool to have on the set list. I'll go with more Queen, cause I liked the one they did have on the list. And something Aerosmith or Metallica would be cool. :)
I'm actually fairly bad at seperating tracks in music, so while I know what a guitar sounds like, I very rarely can identify it during a song I like, as being one of the things I like about the song. Anyone else have that problem?

Posted by: Zifnab | July 16, 2006 10:06 PM

Yeah, I agree that agreements with the bands/labels were probably the real problem. Stylus seems to have a writing style that tends toward the over-the-top rant, so they probably framed it this way to make it easier to sound outraged.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | July 16, 2006 10:17 PM

The one glaring omission in Guitar Hero was "Tarzan Boy" by Baltimora.

Posted by: Mason | July 16, 2006 10:50 PM

Mason, I think that one would be better in Karaoke Revolution. :)

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | July 16, 2006 10:53 PM

For a post-Bark At The Moon ultimate guitar thrashing song, I say you'd have to go with Master of Puppets. Although it seems ludicrous to think that Metallica would sign over their usage rights to Red Octane.

I think a song most people would want to play on the old guitar controller is Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down. I don't know of anyone yet who doesn't like that song.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was by the lack of AC/DC. How about some Highway to Hell? How about some For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)? Or, one of my personal favorites, If You Want Blood(You've Got It).

Aerosmith and Run DMC - Walk This Way.

Just for the fun of it, throw in some Heat of the Moment by Asia. It's made a comeback thanks to South Park, the 40-Year Old Virgin, and The Matador.

Godzilla, but no Don't Fear the Reaper?

Spanish Castle Magic, but no Voodoo Child?

David Bowie and Trent Reznor - I'm Afraid of Americans

I would LOVE to see Electric 6 - Gay Bar on there. But it's probably too short.

They had a Cream song on there, but they didn't have Cocaine or Layla...

There probably isn't enough guitar in The Final Countdown... but there should be a whole new Guitar Hero game for over-the-top power ballads like that.

Fear Factory - Cars. The original synth song.

I'd rather play Welcome to the Jungle or Paradise City over Sweet Child Of Mine, but that's because it's been ruined by every fratboy in a bar.

Hey, how about some Hot Chocolate - You Sexy Thing (I Believe in Miracles)?

Hip to be Square definitely goes on the same game as Final Countdown. Add the Power of Love while you're at it.

Personal Jesus, there are several hard rock versions of this I think, or you could go with a softer Johnny Cash kinda version.

I don't like Kid Rock generally, but I'd take some Bawitaba.

Immigrant Song. Again, very short. That could be tacked on to the end of Gay Bar to make a full Guitar Hero song.

Ah, here's my Metallica. I'd go with any of the following:
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Fade to Black
Creeping Death
The Call of Ktulu (PLEASE.)
Battery
Master of Puppets
Sanitarium
Disposable Heroes
Orion
Blackened
One
Enter Sandman
Sad But True
The Unforgiven
Wherever I May Roam
Of Wolf and Man

On the other hand, good for them putting Megadeth's Symphony of Destruction on there.

Throw Mclusky's Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues on after Gay Bar and Immigrant Song and you'd have an odd medley that makes a full song.

Muse - Hysteria or Stockholm Syndrome would be perfect. New Born would be great too.

Nickelback - Figured You Out is a fun one.

For Ozzy I'd take Steal Away (The Night) or You Lookin' At Me Lookin' At You.

Pink Floyd - One of These Days

I could have used some Another One Bites the Dust

A little Rage Against the Machine would be nice. Maybe Killing in the Name?

Rammstein - Engel

I can't believe they put Rob Zombie on there and it wasn't More Human than Human. There, I said it.

I would have enjoyed some of The Cure, but I'm not sure what song. Maybe a shortened version of Watching Me Fall?

Several Offspring songs would have been nice, but I think Crazy Taxi still owns them all.

Some Tool would make for some good hard songs to finish.

Violent Femmes would be nice if they added on Blister in the Sun, Add It Up, or Kiss Off

Posted by: Josh | July 16, 2006 11:00 PM

Must... resist... obvious joke... aw, fuck it:

They're saving "Don't Fear The Reaper" for the upcoming Cowbell Hero.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | July 16, 2006 11:06 PM

\begin{Comic Book Guy}

I believe "Cocaine" was one of Clapton's solo songs rather than one he did as part of Cream.

Also, the song "Cars" is usually attributed to Gary Numan, though I realize people will sometimes use Fear Factory as the artist.

As to its being the original synth song, while I don't think you meant that literally, I'm anal enough that I will comment on that anyway. It is indeed an early one, but there are a number of synth songs that came earlier.

\end{Comic Book Guy}

Yeah, I'm just providing some rather trivial commentary here.

Posted by: Mason | July 16, 2006 11:33 PM