August 27, 2006

Easier than actual socializing

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at August 27, 2006 8:22 PM

I am apparently a sucker for social networking sites—I'm now on Facebook. Previously I've joined MySpace and Orkut, although I don't use the latter much anymore.

Tags: Internet, Life
Comments

your a electric social butterfly

Posted by: shellock | August 28, 2006 7:17 AM

I've been meaning to join Facebook for a while -- if for no other reason I have their data and it's probably relevant to my analysis to actually try the site. I'll drop you a line when I get around to joining. (Facebook gets more traffic than google, by the way. Or it did as of some time in 2005. I assume it still does.)

I am in MySpace, Orkut, and LinkedIn, but I don't use any of them. I'll log in when somebody requests me as a friend, but basically don't use it. I get lots of friend-request spam from Orkut. I need to log in to change the preferences to not e-mail me when I get a new friend request.

Do you actually end up doing any social networking through these sites? (I can see their use as gloried phonebooks, but I'm curious if you use them for more than that.)

I was also thinking Facebook might be particularly useful for web-stalking. :)

Posted by: Mason | August 29, 2006 1:13 AM

I've met a couple people via MySpace but mostly I just use it to see what my existing friends are up to. Facebook has a particularly nice interface (compared to the trainwreck that is MySpace) and since it's organized by school it's pretty easy to find people.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 29, 2006 2:23 PM

The organization by school is where the web-stalking comment comes in.

Posted by: Mason | August 29, 2006 5:11 PM

I just added myself to Facebook. I can't find you, so either find me or let me know what to search.

By the way, I find their interface to be rather clunky.

Posted by: Mason | August 31, 2006 1:20 AM

Weird, I should have turned up on a search for my name.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 31, 2006 11:22 AM