August 28, 2006

Pacific Film Yarrrchive

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at August 28, 2006 4:41 PM

This was on BoingBoing about a week ago, but I didn't see it then—the Pacific Film Archive at UC Berkeley is having a pirate film festival through September and October. Not pirated films, but films about piracy, mostly the arrr, matey! kind (the last installment is an exception). Inconveniently for me, the movies are being shown on Wednesday nights.

Tags: Culture, Movies, UC Berkeley
Comments

Clearly, the solution is to borrow a projector, rent some DVDs, invite a few friends to join in on the fun, and have your own PirateFest.

Posted by: Mason | August 29, 2006 12:52 AM

On a night other than Wednesday, that is.

Posted by: Mason | August 29, 2006 12:52 AM

That's not a bad idea.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 29, 2006 12:42 PM

On a different night, you might also include a ninja movie night. Or maybe even cowboys...

Posted by: Lemming | August 29, 2006 1:10 PM

Nah, you have to do vikings before ninjas or cowboys. Don't want to offend the Noodly Norsemen, you know! Some of those Icelandic sagas Steinn posts about sound pretty interesting, one hopes they've been made into movies somewhere by now.

Posted by: Justin | August 29, 2006 1:43 PM

Especially not with the, you know, Four Norsemen of the Apocalypse.

Posted by: Lemming | August 29, 2006 2:13 PM

I think ninjas would be pretty much required after pirates. But vikings? Does Der Ring des Nibelung count? I have the entire cycle on videotape...

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 29, 2006 2:54 PM

By the way, when I was eating lunch yesterday, a Techer at the next table who obviously wasn't an undergrad started humming The Ride (although he called it the "Flight" of the Valkyries. (I have already blocked out the context of the comment.) At this point, I experienced some involuntary shudders---basically, I am fine (and, in fact, enjoy the song) when I'm braced for it, but it doesn't work so well when I'm not prepared (like that time in Paseo). It's even better when I'm the one inflicting: Unfair for the inflictee but not for the inflictor. (I had to twist too many things around and intentionally misspell something but oh well...)

Posted by: Mason | August 29, 2006 4:19 PM

Well, if you can't find any good norse movies, how about epic poetry?

Posted by: Lanth | August 30, 2006 1:44 PM

The Pacific Symphony (Orange County) is doing the entire Ring cycle by Wagner in October. I wonder how many people will show up wearing horned helmets?

Posted by: Jolene | August 30, 2006 4:06 PM

I was extremely disappointed to see in the Wikipedia entry for Vikings that the horned helmets are a myth. However, since this myth apparently originated among 19th century Norse mythology fans, it's still totally appropriate for Wagner.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 30, 2006 4:21 PM

Hmmm... I should go to that performance...

Posted by: Mason | August 30, 2006 5:02 PM