August 27, 2006

Science apparel

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at August 27, 2006 11:28 PM

Stick figure webcomic xkcd, which was discussed in a recent open thread, is now selling t-shirts. The first one is excellent; I can't decide if the second is cute or just sad (speaking as someone who sometimes needs to make the clarification written on said shirt).

Since this post is too short, here are some other science-oriented webcomic shirts: Music + Science = Sexy from Questionable Content, and Professor Science from Dinosaur Comics.

Tags: Science, Shyness
Comments

I want a tshirt of this comic:

Posted by: Lanth | August 28, 2006 5:42 PM

Lanth, at least that's likely to bring you more civil conversation than this.

Posted by: Lemming | August 28, 2006 6:13 PM

Lemming: That's quite the platitude.

I like the fact that one of the American Physical Society's official t-shirts says, "Flirt harder. I'm a physicist."

The shy/antisocial t-shirt is tempting (as is the 'science works' shirt). It's worth noting that the t-shirts I wear have, on quite a few occasions, compelled other people to start conversations with me. This has been very, very good at times and not so great on other occasions. (The 'very, very good' has led to a couple of my past occurrences of successful charisma checks followed by failed intelligence checks.) One of the main ones in the positive category has been my 'Windows for Solitaire' shirt.

Anyway, my point is that somebody like me (who has such a huge potential barrier for initiating conversations with people I don't know) wearing a t-shirt that compels somebody else to start a conversation is not a bad thing. (It's no substitute for getting over shyness, but every little bit helps.)

Then there are the situations in which somebody surreptitiously reads my shirt and I fail my spot check and have to be told about it later.

Posted by: Mason | August 29, 2006 1:02 AM

Mason, you inspired me to look up APS shirts, and I found this link. Some of the pick-up lines and "Physicists do it..." slogans are a little scary...

Posted by: Jolene | August 29, 2006 12:27 PM

Jolene, thanks for the link! That's awesome!

One of the gradturkeys I sat behind in Ph 98 had a nice shirt on a similar theme, "physics terms that sound dirty but aren't". Coupled two-body oscillations, bottom quark, etc.

Posted by: Justin | August 29, 2006 1:39 PM

Jolene: Some of those are pretty cringe-worthy, all right. I like "Conserve energy: Commute with a Hamiltonian."

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 29, 2006 2:37 PM

That was indeed an awesome link. I also own the 'don't drink and derive' shirt. (In fact, I know one of the people they credited with submitting that, but I hadn't realize he submitted it.)

Also, physicists may do it in all sorts of ways, but mathematicians do it with group actions and the Hairy Ball Theorem (though not typically with both at the same time).

Posted by: Mason | August 29, 2006 5:10 PM

Does anybody know if the "don't Drink and Derive" Tshirt is still awailable and can be purchased?

Thanks!