August 22, 2006

Types of laboratory scientists

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at August 22, 2006 11:49 PM

Via Syaffolee, an over-the-top but amusing list of personality types one encounters in a science lab. In fact, I believe I've met most of these people. I've put a lot of effort into not becoming #5 (the obsessive perfectionist with no life), but this probably just makes me closest to #1 (the antisocial weirdo)—although my personal hygiene isn't that bad and I've been more social lately. Of course it's not an exhaustive list, so maybe I need to add to it:

7. The Blogger
He seems quiet, but he's actually telling the world about the latest lab mishaps on the Internet. These scientists prefer highly automated experiments so as to spend more time surfing the web. They're good with computers and publicizing results to a broad audience. They are communicative provided the medium is e-mail or IM, and happy to come to parties if there's a proper Evite or MySpace announcement. If the network goes down they are likely to display withdrawal symptoms.

Tags: Academia, Lab, Science
Comments

I'm amused.

We need the theorists version of this classification.

I can see a few of my traits (both good and bad) in a couple of the stereotypes.

Posted by: Mason | August 23, 2006 12:36 AM

w00t to Lloydie bloggers. (sadly, I don't *quite* count)

Posted by: Lemming | August 23, 2006 12:52 AM

Heh. I guess I'm a bit of #7 then as well. Except for the mishaps part--I'm too #1 & #3 for that.

Posted by: sya | August 23, 2006 11:42 AM

Lemming: You count, but you're not counted. Justin is counted.

Posted by: Mason | August 23, 2006 12:07 PM

Would you care to add Doug to your count, Mason??

Apparently astronomers would be under the theorist version, most of the listed categories don't apply to anyone in my experience (exception: Dr. Charm). I know not of these "labs" and "reagents" of which they speak. Though "Reclusive Data Monkey" doesn't sound much like a theorist category...

Posted by: Justin | August 23, 2006 1:25 PM

Justin: No... I'm afraid of Doug.

I was taking the personality types and ignoring about how those qualities reflect their lab work and thinking of the theoretical analogs.

Posted by: Mason | August 23, 2006 1:29 PM

Oh well, at least I'll have to settle for being aleph-null.

Posted by: Lemming | August 23, 2006 1:58 PM