September 19, 2006

Hoist the Jolly Roger! [Open Thread]

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at September 19, 2006 12:40 AM

Arrr, mateys! It be Talk Like A Pirate Day once again! Of the holidays celebrated here at Arrrcane Gazebo, few be more highly anticipated.

Though my lists of the year's best music won't appear until December, it is now time to announce the winner of the coveted Arrrcane Gazebo Pirate Song of the Year. And the winner is...

Pretty Girls Make Graves, "Selling the Wind"

I buy these winds
to venge my children and their ghosts
I stole their ships
and every castle from their coasts
Need no advice
nor approval from the queen
I live my life
forever hellcat of the seas

Last year's (unannounced) winner was, of course, The Decemberists' "The Mariner's Revenge Song".

Here be a comment thread fer ye scurvy dogs t' parley with each other.

Tags: Music, Open Thread, Pirates
Comments

Well, I'll cast me vote for "Come Sail Away."

Either version will do, but I'll take the original. I hear the River Styx can be deadly these days...

Posted by: Mason | September 19, 2006 1:15 AM

Ho ho ho and a bottle of Bombay Sapphire!!

Posted by: JSpur | September 19, 2006 10:47 AM

I think you mean "Yo ho ho" there, Santa.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 19, 2006 11:22 AM

Swabb the decks ye

Posted by: shellock | September 19, 2006 11:25 AM

It occurs to me that maybe the Pirate Song of the Year should be included on the year-end mix CD. On the other hand, PGMG is likely to make the top songs list anyway with one of the other tracks from Elan Vital...

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | September 19, 2006 1:30 PM

2d4Y R 4 2 sp33K 31337? LOL!!1!!one

If it has to be "Come Sail Away", it has to be the Eric Cartman version -- a fine, fine cover (with an appearance by Isaac Hayes!)

Oh, and I was waiting for an open thread to mention this--if any of ya'll are or know programmers looking for work, drop me a line. Getting to the point, here's a buzzword-dump for you in no particular order (we don't expect more than a partial match, so relax ^^): OpenGL, PDEs, Integral Equations, High-Order Convergence/Spectral Methods, FFTs, C++, OOP, FLTK, Unix, MPI, HPC.

I think everyone here already knows how to get a hold of me, but failing that elling at gmail (dot com) works.

Posted by: Lemming | September 19, 2006 2:28 PM

I have to insist on the original version. :) Thankfully, it played on my iPod without my needing to request it. Yarrrrrr!

At lunch, I kept getting distracted by the random 'Yars' I was hearing from a couple tables.

In terms of the work thing, a good thing will be to give me an official flyer to take with me to the Joint Math Meetings. (The thing I'm attending at the end of next week is a mentoring thing, so you'll need a wait a bit before I can be of any real help.)

Posted by: Mason | September 19, 2006 2:41 PM

Shimmy me reindeer! Deck the halls!

Posted by: JSpur | September 19, 2006 3:38 PM

Thanks, JSpur and AG, for the best laugh I had all day! Something about the incongruity of Santa and pirates...

Posted by: Susan | September 19, 2006 7:25 PM

I meant "shiver me reindeer." Of course. Ever so sorry.

Posted by: JSpur | September 19, 2006 7:53 PM

Yarr, Pirate Santa always leaves coal in me stocking... But that be okay, 'cause I be usin' the coal to burn down ships me plundered!

Posted by: Josh | September 19, 2006 9:11 PM