October 25, 2006

365 Photos

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at October 25, 2006 6:32 PM

I'm intrigued by this idea (via Lifehacker) of taking a photo every day for a year to compile a year-long photographic record. I'm thinking of doing this (starting either on 22 November or 1 January); the challenges would be remembering to take a photo every day, and finding sufficiently interesting subjects for the photos. (Similar to the challenges of blogging regularly, which I don't quite achieve as often as daily.)

Naturally I would post the photos on my Flickr page; I could also post them here, but it might get annoying for those who come for the text (one photo post per day would become more than 50% of the content). So it might be better to put them on a separate page, and only post highlights here.

Tags: Life, Photos, Website
Comments

I think that is a very cool idea indeed. Go for it.

Headed out for a day at the fish plant. Last night at the banquet our Chinese hosts threw for us I toasted the 70th anniversary of the Long March. At the mention of which the Chinese lept to their feet. It was a nice moment. Wish I had had my camera with me for it.

Posted by: JSpur | October 25, 2006 7:01 PM

Sounds awesome. The challenge would be a little easier if you only had to remember to take at least one photo every day. Also, giving yourself a few warmup weeks to get into the habit might help get the ball rolling, before the daily record counts "for reals, for reals".

What might be nice is a little RSS summary of the daily photos in a sidebar, or maybe just a small version of the latest photo. Then again, it's not like I visit your blog directly much anymore, now that the comment RSS feed is working. :)

Posted by: Lemming | October 25, 2006 7:14 PM

Observation: Flickr has RSS. Duh. This is good.

Now I don't have to remember to check your Flickr page either!

Posted by: Lemming | October 25, 2006 9:58 PM

I ought to get better about photos. I still have undeveloped film dating back to at least August 2004 (DragonCon) and probably to the beginning of 2004. There are pictures in there that I really want to come out too... (like the one I took with Harlan Ellison).

I couldn't sleep last night (except for one hour). Damn jet lag.

Posted by: Mason | October 26, 2006 3:44 AM

Mason, as to jet lag, one word- cognac.

Posted by: JSpur | October 26, 2006 4:54 AM

I seem to remember that was Larry Niven's recommended solution as well. Irish coffee for creativity, cognac for, well, anything else.

Posted by: Lemming | October 26, 2006 9:45 AM

Sounnd cool you should do it. Start with 12:01am New Years Day in wilton CT

Posted by: shellock | October 26, 2006 10:26 AM

Lemming: Those are good suggestions. I was thinking about ramping up to the one/day rate (ideally, I would take several per day and post the best). I like the idea of putting the latest one in the sidebar; I think this is easy to do automatically with Flickr.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | October 26, 2006 3:14 PM

That's an interesting idea, i'm tempted to try it as well. I fear a lot of my pictures would be uninteresting to anyone but myself, but I suppose that is not the point, either.

Posted by: Zifnab | October 26, 2006 3:46 PM

Heh... are there any solutions that don't involve breaking my commitment and desire not to drink alcohol?

Posted by: Mason | October 27, 2006 9:56 AM

Of course. You can inbibe via enima, but the uptake is so rapid (and rough on your colon) that anything stronger than beer is (especially) dangerous.

Posted by: Lemming | October 27, 2006 11:33 AM

How about solutions that don't involve use of alcohol (imbibed, injected, or otherwise inserted)?

Anyway, I'm back. And I'm tired. And I need to catch up on work.

Posted by: Mason | October 29, 2006 10:32 PM