October 31, 2006

Halloween Thread 2006

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at October 31, 2006 2:42 PM
Buffy: Great. I was gonna stay in and veg. The one night a year things are supposed to be quiet for me.

Xander: Halloween quiet? Oh, I figured it'd be a big old vamp scareapalooza.

Buffy: Not according to Giles. He swears that tomorrow night is, like, dead for the undead. They stay in.

Xander: Those wacky vampires! That's why I love 'em! They just keep you guessing!

Last year's Halloween thread was a success so here's another one. Anyone wearing a costume tonight (or right now)? What interesting costumes have you seen?

I've seen a few costumes on campus so far today, but have been without my camera. It seems a bit too cold today for that American Indian costume I saw. Meanwhile, motivated by laziness I have devised a costume for myself which merely requires dressing in black and carrying my guitar around.

Tags: Life
Comments

Well, my Waldo costume came together enough not to suck. It's not awesome, but it does the job.
- A red turtleneck + white fabric paint for stripes (that was the sucky/hard part)
- A red and a white beanie, sewn together for the right look, plus a ball of fluffy red yarn for the supaflyheadbopper on top.
- A cheap pair of binoculars.
- A cane from the elder care section of Rite-Aid.

I'll provide pictures if any get taken.

Word on teh intarweb is that the tasteless costume of the year is going as Steve Irwin with a stingray in the chest. Yeah, it even made me cringe a bit. I want to think it's cool, but I'm not sure...

*Hopefully* a good number of people will be in costume at Rueda tonight, and hopefully many of the ladies will be implementing the

template sexy<class T>;
template.

Posted by: Lemming | October 31, 2006 3:07 PM

I don't usually dress up for Halloween, but this morning I had a little idea -- I decided to wear my "Extreme Math" t-shirt, which is mostly black and orange, and has lots of formulas and math symbols on the back (along with people doing "extreme sports")... I figured my math students (middle school through high school ages) would find that scary enough :) and they did!

Posted by: Susan | October 31, 2006 3:20 PM

In case anyone here doesn't follow Cute Overload, I think the best costumes this year are here.

Posted by: Justin | October 31, 2006 3:28 PM

There's just something about costumes for pets that always has rubbed me the wrong way -- I'm not really sure of any reason for it though. Meh.

That being said, there's a bit of stiff competition from PA -- I want a grownup version of the moogle suit.

Posted by: Lemming | October 31, 2006 3:52 PM

This is my Halloween costume (Lady Di), though I'm not wearing it tonight (too sick). Jeremy helped me make it-- it won Best Novice at the local sci fi convention 2 weeks ago.

Posted by: Stephanie | October 31, 2006 4:16 PM

Oh, and one of the costumes that didn't win Best Novice was Steve Irwin with a sting ray coming out of the chest.

Ha.

Posted by: Stephanie | October 31, 2006 4:17 PM

The Steve Irwin one goes way overboard even for the likes of me. Major thumbs down!

The best costume I saw today was Cousin It.

I considered dressing up as a normal person, but decided to go as myself instead.

(I'll look at the links later. I do need to finish my talk for tomorrow at some point and still have way too much of it to do.)

Posted by: Mason | October 31, 2006 4:54 PM

The Steve Irwin was on South Park last week. He was in Hell, and got kicked out of the Halloween party for not wearing a costume. If memory serves.

I myself have been too overworked to go shopping. So for the Ladytron concert I will be wearing no costume... just boots, jeans, a black collared shirt and my $1 blue jacket. I thought about throwing my stethoscope in there just to have something costume-ey but I don't see a reason to really. I also thought about the old favorite: El Testiculo. But not tonight.

Guess I'm boring this Halloween.

Posted by: Josh | October 31, 2006 6:58 PM

Well, the Granada was great. All of the staff dressed up as various Disney characters (their costumes were *really* good, and all/mostly hand made). Others of note included a good Zorro, a banana (my spoon is too big!) and a large, muscular and tattooed mexican as Snow White (our teacher was also Snow White, this was a blast).

I had planned to head down w/ OneMike + some JPL peeps to the whole shebang in West Hollywood afterwards, but neurosis got the best of me halfway there on the metro rail so I turned around and headed back. It's a shame, I'm sure the costumes there will be fantastic.

Posted by: Lemming | October 31, 2006 11:33 PM

Nevermind, the Steve Irwin south park reference was a direct reference to the costume, not the other way around.

Which makes more sense when I think of these things. But I'm not thinking too clearly these days, as evidence will show.

Posted by: Josh | November 1, 2006 1:35 AM

Stephanie: Your d20 costume is AWESOME.

I went board gaming on Halloween wearing an old lab coat of mine. The best description is that it looks like I was attacked by a wild animal...there are acid holes in it everywhere. Yes, I washed it before wearing it out of the lab. I definitely didn't want whatever was on the coat before to get on the seats of my car. Yuck.

And nice costume, AG!