November 7, 2006

Election Day Thread 2006

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at November 7, 2006 12:21 PM

I am heartened to see that my precinct has replaced their Diebold touchscreen voting machines with a non-Diebold optical scan system. Of course, here in California's 9th district I don't have to worry about the outcome depending on the voting machines, but it's reassuring to know that my vote will be counted and that a paper trail exists. (I could get this by voting absentee, but I typically don't since I like the experience of voting at the polls.)

Here's an Election Day thread. Any stories from competitive districts? How's CT-04 looking?

Tags: Election 2006
Comments

I don't think very many people live in competitive districts... It's somewhat ironic - we truly are ruled by a minority: those who happen to live in the less than 10% of Congressional districts which are actually competitive.

Posted by: Chris L-S | November 7, 2006 12:56 PM

A bit over 10% - I make it almost 15% in the House, a bit more than that in the Senate this year - in "tidal wave" elections like this year (or '94, or '74, and so forth). Less than 10% sounds right for typical elections. But of the people who comment here, I think only Shellock is in a competitive district. Two, actually, counting the Senate. Anyone in CA-11? Down with Pombo!!!

Approx. 15% is also right for Presidential elections (OH, PA, FL, plus a 1e7 fudge factor for other swing states - say VA+NM+NH). A pity, but there's not much to be done about it. That scheme where states with an electoral majority collude to abide by the national popular vote would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. And that wouldn't help with Congress anyway.

Posted by: Justin | November 7, 2006 1:25 PM

I did vote in my competitive races with the new optical scan ballot. Though truth be told I miss the old machanical voting machine. But those also had been know to have issue and did not have a paper trail so I supose this was a improvement. Now to wait till some point after 8 to see if a difference was made.

Posted by: shellock | November 7, 2006 2:10 PM

I see that the exit polls are heavily favoring Democrats. However, this was the case in 2004 and we all remember how that went, so I'm remaining pessimistic.

I think Jolene might be in CA-50? It's on some of the lists of competitive districts, but I think it's leaning pretty heavily Republican.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | November 7, 2006 4:15 PM

I like absentee ballots just because it's easier for me. It saves me from having to go anywhere.

Posted by: Mason | November 7, 2006 9:47 PM

Oops, I didn't notice AG's comment here before I posted in the entry after this. But yes, I'm in CA-50.

Posted by: Jolene | November 8, 2006 2:02 PM